Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CARSLOGIE HOUSE & GARDEN WALLSLB2622

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
01/03/1984
Date Removed:
24/08/2017
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Cupar
NGR
NO 35229 14339
Coordinates
335229, 714339

Removal Reason

Dual designated site remaining scheduled.

Description

Fragmentary, ruinous and roofless late 16th/17th century house, altered, with most windows enlarged, in 18th century; incorporated in north wall of large, rectangular garden enclosure. Originally 4 storeys, but only north and west walls and west corner of south wall survive to 1st floor

level (latter also with single 2nd floor window jamb), while remainder of south wall and all east wall now a rubble pile. Coursed squared rubble, with ashlar dressings. Original off-centre door in north wall with inserted door to left leading to 18th century stone stair; slit opening to right; 3 windows above (1 blocked) and single gun loop. Single 1st floor window in west wall & in surviving fragment of south

wall.

INTERIOR: vaulted at ground floor; 4 chambers, in pairs, flanking central passage. Garden walls are rubble-built.

Statement of Special Interest

Scheduled Monument.

Carslogie was the property of the Clephane family from at least the 12th century; the house was abandoned by George Clephane before 1790 and sold in 1808, although occupied till later in century, and used latterly as a store: re-roofed 1854, top floor removed 1893. Pedimented dormer head incorporated in garden walls dated 1590 and bearing initials of George Clephane and J Katherine Orm his wife may date house, and a lintel (now built into nearby cartshed dated 1710 and bearing initials of David

Clephane & of his wife Joanna Colville, suggests some alteration work then.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY OF FIFE 1933 pp 89-90 (no 169) A H Miller FIFE ...... 1895 Vol I pp 134-139 (includes 1870 view).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARSLOGIE HOUSE & GARDEN WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/10/2019 16:18