Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DAIRSIE OLD CHURCH (ST MARY'S) FORMER SESSION HOUSE, CEMETERY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB2610

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
01/03/1984
Supplementary Information Updated
06/06/2017
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dairsie
NGR
NO 41400 16090
Coordinates
341400, 716090

Description

Dated 1621. Rectangular-plan, ashlar, 4-bay church, with Gothic detail. 2-stage octagonal tower corbelled over south west corner has rectangular openings to each face of upper stage: crudely balustraded above, and faceted spire with diminutive lucarnes. Segmental-headed moulded arch with Renaissance doorpiece in west wall; datestone, and crest of Spottiswood family above, with initials of Archbishop John. North and south bays divided by buttresses with 3-light windows and bold plate tracery under pointed arch (1 with cill raised over blocked door). Pair of similar windows to east wall. Continuous moulded cill course. Grotesque mask spouts below string at eaves, originally to drain flat roof, but roof altered and raised late in 18th century, Robert Balfour, Architect; now piended and slated.

INTERIOR: original interior destroyed shortly after construction: 19th century interior also gutted: gallery with panelled front remains, supported on 2 cast-iron columns: simple dado panelling: panelled oak door to bell-tower probably original. One pedimented and urn-finialed marble monument of note dated 1786, and 1648 tombslab. One window by

Ballantine & Gardiner of Edinburgh, 1905. Single storey 2-bay gabled tool-shed to east has door and blind window, both with pointed heads, to south elevation. Graveyard enclosed by rubble-built walls with corniced square ashlar gatepiers and decorative wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use. Major refit 1835-7, John Kennedy, builder, and John MacCulloch, wright: some window heads and mullions replaced; windows on north wall re-opened; door on south wall blocked, and interior renewed. Sketch for pulpit and seats, 1904, among Gillespie & Scott archtiects drawings (index in SNMR.) Tool-shed was originally the session house.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS VENTORY OF FIFE, 1933, p 91 (No 176). MacGibbon & Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHTIECTURE, 1892 vol V, pp 153-156.

A H Millar FIFE..... 1895. vol I, p 159 ff. Leighton, HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1840, vol II, p 263. Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF POST REFORMATION CHURCHES, 1957. pp 39, 43, 171, 214. SRO HR 175/1, 175/6. RHP 7370-3.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DAIRSIE OLD CHURCH (ST MARY'S) FORMER SESSION HOUSE, CEMETERY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 02:49