Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

65 INGLIS STREET AND PILMUIR STREET, CARNEGIE CLINICLB26040

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/12/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 9203 87736
Coordinates
309203, 687736

Description

H and D Barclay of Glasgow, 1909-12. 2-storey; I-plan; free Renaissance design with mullioned and transomed windows and crowsteped gables; health clinic and former college. Sandstone ashlar to most parts; coursed stugged snecked sandstone to NE gable end. Moulded band courses above ground floor and at 1st floor cill level to principal (Carnegie Street and Pilmuir Street) elevations; also moulded eaves cornice and pierced parapet (incorporating alternating geometric shapes with stepped edges). Moulded chamfered reveals to windows.

E (INGLIS STREET) ELEVATION: 11-bay. Entrance with chamfered surround to left of centre; glazed replacement door; round-arched fanlight in moulded surround. Flanking pairs of mullioned and transomed windows; quadripartites to left; sexpartites to right. Narrow transomed bipartite and quadripartite to far right. Flanking outer pairs of narrow bipartites with moulded architraves; both with shared moulded pediment of double curved design with pair of paterae and thistle finial at centre; pendant moulding below. Sexpartite mullioned and transomed window to centre of 1st floor; alternate quadripartites and sexpartites to 2 immediate flanking bays; quadripartites to each of 3 outer bays on either side. Pediment-like gable to centre; festooned panels along base; carved panel incorporating miniature pediment centred above; flanking moulded stone urn-like finials to gable; each on low post carved with lion's head; stack at apex.

W (CARNEGIE STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Round-arched entrance with keystone and flanking free Ionic rusticated pilasters to right; pedimented above ground floor band course with cartouche to centre and pilasters rising to 1st floor cill course; panelled 2-leaf timber door with lugged architrave and leaded fanlight. Mullioned and transomed windows to each floor/bay; quadripartites to ground floor, apart from sexpartite to left of entrance; sexpartites to 1st floor, apart from taller quadripartite to outer right. Pediment-like gable to pair of bays to left of centre; aedicule with solomonic columns and putto/cartouche at base to centre; flanking cartouches; urn-like finials to either side of gable and one (smaller/different design) at apex.

S ELEVATION: 10-bay. Eaves parapet continues along 4 bays to left. Narrow transomed bipartite to outer left of ground floor. Turreted bay to right; pair of bipartites to each floor. 2 adjoining bays set forward slightly; sexpartites to each floor/bay, apart from that to lower left (quadripartite and bipartite). 5 bays to right set back; regular quadripartite fenestration apart from to polygonal-plan stairtower with timber finial to right; segmental-headed keystoned entrance to centre; 9-light window above with flanking double-transomed tripartites. Gable end bay with upper sexpartite projects to outer right; canted bay with sexpartite and flanking bipartites to left return; bipartites to either side.

N ELEVATION: Gable end with pair of narrow upper windows to left. 9 irregular bays set back to right; mainly large single-light windows to ground floor and quadripartites above; canted oriel to outer left; single-storey turret below to gable end re-entrant. Projecting gable end to outer right adjoins Carnegie Centre.

Replacement UPVC windows (to original glazing pattern). Grey slate roof with red ridge tiles and louvred vents at intervals apart from at W end. Wide corniced ashlar stacks with band courses; one to W ridge; pair of gableheads to E; narrow gablehead to E elevation; round cans where in existence. Original cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers incorporating thistle and fleur de lys motifs.

INTERIOR: retains many original doorways with chamfered ashlar surrounds; panelled timber doors with glazed upper panel. Open well staircase with cast and wrought-iron balustrade incorportating thistle motif to S stairtower.

Statement of Special Interest

A finely constructed institutional building incorporating an eclectic mixture of stylistic references including Renaissance, Scottish, Baroque and Jacobean. Built with money donated by the Dunfermline-born multi-millionaire, Andrew Carnegie, as 'College of Hygiene and School Clinics'. Adjoins Carnegie Centre (see separate list description) at NW corner.

References

Bibliography

THE BUILDER, 20 February 1912; PLANS and ELEVATIONS, Folder No 1317, Dean of Guilds Records, Dunfermline Council; John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) p188.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 65 INGLIS STREET AND PILMUIR STREET, CARNEGIE CLINIC

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/12/2019 05:45