Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CHAPEL STREET, GILLESPIE MEMORIAL CHURCH, (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS TO WESTLB26037

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
19/12/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 9064 87590
Coordinates
309064, 687590

Description

Andrew Balfour, 1848-49; altered and hall added 1882; with later additions. 5-bay; symmetrical; rectangular-plan church, built as United Presbyterian chapel. Gothick design with with Tudor-arched entrance and octagonal piers flanking gabled central bay to principal (W) elevation. Polished ashlar principal elevation; coursed stugged ashlar elsewhere. Coped gables. Hood-moulded openings with chamfered reveals to principal elevation; droved chamfered reveals to windows to side (N and S) elevations.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to central Tudor-arched entrance; 2-leaf panelled timber door. Ogee-headed hood-mould with foliate finial to traceried window above. Parapet raised at gable between octagonal piers flanking central bay; embellished clover-leaf cross finial at apex. Taller narrower traceried window to each of flanking bays. Stepped diagonal buttress to either side of elevation; each with gableted head surmounted by truncated pinnacle. Cill courses to outer bays and octagonal piers. Band courses over entrance, at cill level, adjoining hood-mould and at gable level to central bay and flanking octagonal piers.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: lancet window to each bay. Minor entranceway between 4th and 5th bays from left to N elevation; steps down to basement to between 1st and 2nd bays. Entrance into vestibule to lower height extension of 1882 adjoining to right of S elevation; droved surround; panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight. Window to right.

E ELEVATION: single storey harled extensions project some distance form church. Taller lean-to roof of 1882 choir range set back to centre of church.

Fixed multi-pane windows; some leaded stained glass. Grey slate roof. Small coped gablehead stack with to E side.

INTERIOR: U-plan gallery supported on cast-iron columns. Contemporary Gothic panelling to lower part of E end; flanking doorways and central fixed pulpit with steps up to either side. Plain pews with book rests. Moulded Caernarvon-arched opening with flanking foliate columns to choir range inserted 1882. Pair of stone staircases to gallery to either side of vestibule at W entrance. 4-panel Tudor-arched doors throughout. Stained glass window to W depicting goodness, meekness and gentleness in memory of Reverend Miller, died 1924; later windows (circa 1947) by R Douglas McLundie circa in 1882 choir range.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: pair of late 19th century sandstone ashlar gatepiers to W; square-plan with chamfered sides on base; moulded Gothic band course; gablet enclosing trefoil to each side of coping; ball finial. Low flanking walls of coursed stugged sandstone with chamfered coping.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. B-Group with 12 Chapel Street (former manse). The history of the church is an interesting one, and significant in terms of the Dissent movement. The congregation was founded in 1752 by the supporters of the Rev Thomas Gillespie, Minister of Carnock, one of the founders of the Relief Church, following his deposition by the Church of Scotland. Their meeting house was granted the status of Chapel of Ease in 1779. It is shown as 'Relief Church' on J Wood's 'Plan of the Town of Dunfermline' of 1823 (this may be the same building referred to in 'The Statistical Account of Scotland' of 1794 as having been built in 1775). In 1847 the Relief Church joined with the Secession Church to form the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland. The Gillespie Relief Church and the Maygate Secession Church (of Dunfermline) amalgamated, building the present church in 1848-49. In 1900 the Gillespie congregation became part of the United Free Church of Scotland. See separate list description for 12 Chapel Street (former manse).

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, VOL 13 (1794) pp444-45; J Wood, PLAN OF THE TOWN OF DUNFERMLINE (1823); appears with small E vestibule on ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP, 5ft to 1 Mile (1856), Dunfermline Sheet 4; PLANS and ELEVATIONS of hall, FolderNo 2991, Dean of Guild Records, Dunfermline Council; THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND - GILLESPIE MEMORIAL CHURCH, Congregational Handbook (circa 1930's); GILLESPIE MEMORIAL CHURCH, DUNFERMLINE - DEDICATION AND OPENING OF RECONSTRUCTED AND ENLARGED CHURCH HALLS, Pamphlet, 1930; John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) p185; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) p125..

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHAPEL STREET, GILLESPIE MEMORIAL CHURCH, (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS TO WEST

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/12/2019 22:34