Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LEYS PARK ROAD, FORMER FEVER HOSPITAL (MCLEAN HOUSE)LB26030

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
08/08/1986
Supplementary Information Updated
10/03/2000
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 10101 88027
Coordinates
310101, 688027

Description

1849; refurbished 1999. 2-storey; 5-bay; T-plan main block with narrow single-storey flanking wings (that to E has been extended slightly). Built as fever hospital. Symmetrical design with consoled block pediment to main entrance. Coursed stugged cherry-caulking sandstone with droved ashlar dressings (E wing partially harled). Eaves course. Droved surrounds to windows.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: architraved entrance with consoled block pediment to centre; 4-panel timber door. Window above. Paired flanking bays; window to each bay to each floor. Single storey flanking wings set back; window to each; additional window to extended section to right wing.

N ELEVATION: rectangular-plan stairtower with stair window to centre. Paired flanking bays set back; slightly irregular fenestration (window to each floor to each bay apart from to upper floor of inner left bay). Single storey flanking wings set back; entrance to each; window to extended section to left wing.

E and W ELEVATIONS: blank with single storey wings projecting to S of centre (pair of windows to extended E wing; entrance set back to right.

Windows missing (1999). Grey slate hipped roofs.

INTERIOR: stripped (floorboards and wall plaster removed) during renovations (1999). Retains dog-leg staircase with cast-iron balustrade to stairtower.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with former Dunfermline Poorhouse and Northern Hospital (Ley's Park Nursing Home) and Poorhouse Probationary Ward (The Lodge). Intact mid 19th century fever/infectious diseases hospital. It was constructed with money donated by the Rev Allan McLean. In 1891 it was acquired by the Combination Poor House Committee to be used as an annexe of the adjacent poor house. With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 the complex came under the management of the West Fife Hospital Board and became the Northern Hospital, specialising in the care of the long-term and chronic sick. The hospital was closed in 1985 and McLean House was sold separately from the main block, which became a nursing home.

References

Bibliography

appears as 'Fever Hospital' on 1855 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP, 5ft to 1 Mile, Dunfermline Sheet 3; Eric Simpson, THE AULD GREY TOUN (1987) pp52-55; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) pp145-47.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LEYS PARK ROAD, FORMER FEVER HOSPITAL (MCLEAN HOUSE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:15