Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

44-46 (EVEN NOS) EAST PORT, ROBINS CINEMALB26015

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 13/06/1992

Location

  • Local Authority: Fife
  • Planning Authority: Fife
  • Burgh: Dunfermline

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NT 9393 87514
  • Coordinates: 309393, 687514

Description

Crawford and Fraser, 1912-13; altered 1980's. 3-storey and basement; 3-bay; principal (S) elevation. Main auditoria block oriented N/S to rear (N). Classical design cinema with Art Deco detailing; pilastered principal elevation with thermal window above entrance canopy. Rendered and painted principal elevation with base course, band course at 2nd floor cill level, frieze decorated with raised diamond pattern and moulded eaves cornice. Architraved windows to principal elevation. Coped gables.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement. Wide central entrance bay. Steps up to entrance; pair of 2-leaf glazed timber doors with rectangular fanlights; flat canopy decorated with lozenges above; paired Art Deco glazed timber advertising cases mounted to either side. Thermal window above. Low 3-light window to 2nd floor; architrave punctuated by disks along lintel at junction with vertical members. Low basement windows, one to each of flanking outer bays. Tall round-arched stair window above to each side; architrave punctuated by disk motifs at springing points; oval embossed panel at base of cill and flanking outer panels with guttae below. Bays divided by tetrastyle arrangement of pilasters; disk motif set within cross as capital; flanking pendant bell-shaped beading. Harled shouldered gable end (formerly with lunette) set back.

Timber fixed light and casement windows to principal elevation. Leaded glass incorporating blue Art Deco style designs remains to stair windows and part of 2nd floor window to central bay. Grey slate roofs.

INTERIOR: remodelled when converted to 3 smaller auditoria in 1980's, (see notes).

Statement of Special Interest

An early purpose-built Art Deco cinema which is an important part of the streetscape. The only comparable examples of surviving early purpose-built cinemas were also built in 1913 - the Salon in Glasgow (by Baird and Lithgow) and the Picture House in Campbeltown (information from the Scottish Film Archive), both listed. The Cinema Theatre Association Scotland notes that the cinema opened in 1913 and it seated 711. They also note that the interior was removed in 2004 for the building's conversion to a nightclub which has since closed.

References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

DEAN OF GUILDS records, Dunfermline Council; John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) p193. Further information from Cinema Theatre Association Scotland website at: www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 28/1/08).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 28/07/2016 01:52