There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 12/01/1971
- Supplementary Information Updated: 10/03/2000
- Local Authority: Fife
- Planning Authority: Fife
- Burgh: Dunfermline
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 8818 87440
- Coordinates: 308818, 687440
Jamieson and Arnott, 1927-29; ironwork by Thomas Hadden. 3 pairs of double wrought-iron gates with flanking paired piers set within large semicircular-plan arrangment comprising low railed walls and flanking outer curved sections of wall with flanking paired piers; segmental-plan railed recess to SE. Neo-Baroque design with circa 1700 details, including alternating pulvinated bands to piers; piers surmounted by urns. Lightly droved sandstone ashlar with polished ashlar dressings. Wrought iron railings.
3 pairs of gates to centre; each decorated with wrought-iron flowers, fruit, foliage and scrolls; those to centre incorporating intertwined initials AC and LC (Andrew Carnegie and Louise Carnegie). Gate stanchions curve upwards to cage-like square-plan wrought-iron gatepiers; both with scrolled decoration; piers surmounted by scrolls with plant finials. Flanking pairs of square-plan piers with alternating pulvinated bands and central pilaster; frieze surmounted by moulded cornice; surmounting urns decorated with festoons; piers linked by lintel below frieze; wrought-iron panel with thistle finial in between. Identical arrangement, separated by railed wall (scrolled panels to railings) to either side. Curved section of wall (with lamp on wrought iron support) to outer right adjoins further pair of piers, identical to 1st without intervening lintel, at right angles to previous pair. Similar arrangement to outer left; except curved section of wall (with lamp) adjoins pair of piers set back slightly; that to left is smaller with plain shaft and moulded cornice surmounted by squat urn with obelisk-like finial; piers linked by lintel with wrought iron panel with thistle finial below. Identical arrangement in reverse to other side of railed recess (with steps up to it and scrolled panels to railings). Curved section of wall (with lamp) adjoins single pier with alternating pulvinated bands and festooned urn. Section of wall to outer left adjoins gable end of adjacent building and projects forward at right angles to meet street.
LAMP STANDARDS: pair of these on chamfered stone pedestals stand one on either side of triple gates. Each has wrought-iron cage-like post decorated with scrolls surmounted by octagonal-plan lanterns.
Statement of Special Interest
Incorporating outstanding earlier 20th century ironwork, this imposing gatepiece is now known as the Memorial Gateway although it was in fact erected while Mrs Carnegie was still alive. Pittencrieff House and its grounds were bought by Andrew Carnegie in 1902. The grounds were opened as a public park the following year and are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes (see above). Thomas Hadden was well known for his decorative smithwork, particularly through his collaboration with the architect, Robert Lorimer. Amongst other high-profile work, he was responsible for the screens in Lorimer's Thistle Chapel in St Giles Cathdral in Edinburgh. See separate List descriptions for other park buildings, including East Gateway.
AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND VOL 4 (circa 1985) pp409-14; John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) p193; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) pp191-94.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.