Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 08722 87282
308722, 687282


1780 built above 1611 structure; parapets by James Shearer, 1915. Semicircular-arched bridge over segmental pointed-arched bridge; lower arch reinforced on N side by pair of semicircular arches, probably added during repairs of 1788. Coursed lightly stugged sandstone with sandstone ashlar dresssings. V-jointed ashlar voussoirs and ashlar soffits to both arches. Coped parapets; pair of short balustraded sections flanking solid parapet above arch on both sides. Flanking buttresses to arch on both on both sides. Carved stone panel above lower arch on S side bears date '1611' and initials 'A R'. Keystone below inscribed '1788' (probably date of repairs). Stone panel to arch above bears shield and inscription 'rebuilt 1780'. Initials, probaby 'C D J', carved on panel adjoining coping above. Inside of N parapet carved with date '1915'.

Statement of Special Interest

The original (lower) bridge was built to carry the main road to the W of Dunfermline across Tower Burn. In the later 18th century the road was diverted away from what was by then the grounds of Pittencrieff House and the level of the bridge and approach road raised to provide more level access to the house. The house and park were purchased by Andrew Carnegie in 1902 and opened as a public park the following year. The park is included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes (see above). See separate list descriptions for park buildings, including Pittencrieff House.



appears on J Wood's PLAN OF THE TOWN OF DUNFERMLINE (1823); Alan Reid and Wiliam Kirk, ROYAL DUNFERMLINE (1934) p62-65; AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND, VOL 4: TAYSIDE, CENTRAL AND FIFE (circa 1985) pp409-14; John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) p192; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) pp189-90.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PITTENCRIEFF PARK, TOWER BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/01/2023 05:52