Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LINLATHEN, WEST BRIDGE OVER DICHTY WATERLB25893

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
29/10/1991
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 46039 32702
Coordinates
346039, 732702

Description

Earlier 19th century. Single arch estate road bridge. Smooth, rusticated and corniced ashlar sandstone buttresses, 4 cast-iron elliptically-arched ribs with cast-iron 'keystone' masking central joint at outer ribs, spandrels formed by 7 decorative concentric circular motifs. Cast-iron balustrade with die at centre and cornice continuing from stone cornice at buttresses. Decking has Macadamed surface.

Statement of Special Interest

Linlathen House was built for David Graham in 1705 and extended for Thomas Erskine by William Sterling in circa 1830; the house was finally demolished in the 1980s. The south drive, lodge and gates (listed separately) together with this bridge appear on the 1857-58 OS map but not on the 1827 plan of the estate. It is therefore likely that they were all constructed following the extension of Linlathen House in circa 1830.

References

Bibliography

Plan of Linlathen by James Sime, 1827, Dundee University Archives, 17p 198; OS map 1857-58; Sir Francis Mudie and David Walker, MAINS CASTLE AND THE GRAHAMS OF FINTRY (1964).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LINLATHEN, WEST BRIDGE OVER DICHTY WATER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 06:34