Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LINLATHEN, EAST BRIDGE OVER DICHTY WATERLB25892

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
29/10/1991
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 46394 32855
Coordinates
346394, 732855

Description

Circa 1795-1810. Single arch light estate road bridge. Wrought with some cast-iron, coursers and ashlar sandstone buttresses. Segmental arch with sprandrels formed by plain concentric circles diminishing in size towards crown of arch, linked by tie bars at soffit; parapet of plain quatrefoils with fencing added later. Timber decking and springing points have been raised, reducing camber. Buttresses slope back from river bed and have balustraded splays (balustrade extant at NE and SW only). North buttress has small round-headed arch over silted flood channel.

Statement of Special Interest

Linlathen House was built for David Graham in 1705 and extended for Thomas Erskine by William Sterling in circa 1830. The steading was dated 1770. This bridge is probably that shown on the 1827 plan of the estate which may have replaced an earlier (circa 1770?) bridge built to give independent access to the steading avoiding the drives to Linlathen House. The bridge appears to follow the 1795 patent of Richard Burdon MP, employed on its largest scale at Sunderland in 1796. The patent involved separate openwork cast-iron voussoirs held together by wrought-iron straps instead of the ribs being cast complete (as at Ironbridge). Two other bridges are known to survive involving this patent at Spanishtown, Jamiaca, 1801, and the solid-looking Tickford Bridge, Newport Pagnell (1819). The first large iron bridged in Europe, near Wroclaw in Silesia (1794-6) similarly had spandrels willed with dimishing rings meeting at a central keystone. The latter was by a Scottish engineer from Carron Ironworks, John Baildon.

Pending documentary confirmation, the Linlathen bridge appears to date from about 1795-1810 and will be the oldest iron bridge in Scotland, and amongst the oldest in the world. The extensive Graham of Fintry papers (SRO, GD151) might contain information regarding the bridge; only a brief examination of these papers was possible for this list entry.

References

Bibliography

Plan of Linlathen by James Sime, 1827; Dundee University Archives, 17p 198; Dir Francis Mudie and David M Walker, MAINS CASTLE AND THE GRAHAMS OF FINTRY (1964); Ted Ruddock, ARCH BRIDGES AND THEIR BUILDERS (1979); Neil Cossons, BP BOOK OF INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY (1987), p 247; Barrie Trinder. 'The First Iron Bridges'. in INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY REVIEW III, no 2, Spring 1979.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LINLATHEN, EAST BRIDGE OVER DICHTY WATER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 05:54