Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BROUGHTY FERRY, 2 WHINNYBRAE, EASTERN PRIMARY SCHOOL, INCLUDING WALL AND ENTRANCE GATES, AND PLAYSHEDS AND_LAVATORIES AT REARLB25887

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
29/10/1991
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 46599 30995
Coordinates
346599, 730995

Description

James H Langlands, architect, William Gillespie Lamond and James H langlands junior, draughtsmen, 1911. Single, 2-, 3- and 5-storey and basement, basically rectangular plan, Art-Nouveau style, school. Snecked bull-faced rubble, smooth long and short quoins and dressings, brick lining, steel beams, slate roof, terracotta ridge tiles, cast-iron rainwater goods. Single and stone mullioned bipartite, 6-pane timber casement windows, elongated single and bipartite 6-pane metal top-hopper windows, all with rounded long and short margins; crowstepped wallhead stacks and mannered segmental wallheads at flat roofed 5-storey and stairwell blocks; some skew gables with kneelsers; piended roofs, hemisphericdally capped louvred ventilators.

W ELEVATION: 2-storey, 16-bay classroom block at centre, ventilator at ridge. Slightly advanced staircase towers flanking; 2-leaf entrance doors with massive scrolled-consoled semi-circular hoods inscribed 'boys entrance' at left and 'girls entrance' at right, windows flanking at ground floor; 4 single windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, Diocletian at 4th, all with single windows at left and right returns. 5-storey, recessed bays at far left and right; 10 closely grouped single windows at each floor, steps and door to basement at left with original capped railings.

E ELEVATION: slightly advanced 3-storey block at centre with 6 bipartite windows at each floor, 2 breaking eaves with segmental dormerheads; 3 foliate design rainwater hoppers dated 1912, ventilator at ridge. Recessed 2-storey 4-window bays flnaking, each with similar hoppers. Slightly advaanced 2-storey gable end at far left with single windows at right and segmental arched entrance porch at right re-entrant. Single storey flat-roofed bay slightly advanced at far right with 4 windows.

S ELEVATION: slightly advanced 5-storey block at left; 2 sets of widely spaced bipartite windows at each floor, mannered wallhead with crowstepped wallhead stack, rainwater hopper as E elevation. 2-storey block set-back at right; basement window at left re-entrant with original railings as at W elevation, 8 windows at ground and 1st floors, rainwater hopper as above, ventilator at ridge.

N ELEVATION: single storey, piend-roofed block with door, 9 windows and ventilator at ridge adjoined at right abutting gable end of main block, with 3 windows on W return. Painted brick walls set-back at left with 3 Diocletian windows at re-entrant.

WALL AND ENTRANCE GATES: low coped rubble wall at S and W with stell railings (not original). Ashlar entrance gateways at W with cast-iron gates and coped round-headed arches, inscribed 'boys' at left, 'girls' at right.

PLAYSHEDS AND LAVATORIES: single storey partly open playsheds and lavetories at E, style compatible with main building although altered and extended.

INTERIOR: mostly original throughout. Assembly hall at E rising through 2 storeys; most corridors and classrooms have boarded dado; shallow ceramic sinks at boys' cloakrooms; simple chimneypiece in caretake's flat. Original range at former cookery room (2nd floor, room 21) inscribed 'Parkhouse, Dow's patent. G Stephen and Sons, Dundee';

copper boiler in adjoining former laundry room inscribed 'Ewart's Radion, Ewart and Son, Euston Road, London NW'.

Statement of Special Interest

The Eastern Primary was the first of the Dundee Board Schools to use steel beams. MacAngus refers to a set of photographs taken during the construction of the building showing the steel beams; the full set is reproduced in Bettridge. The original drawings show an unexecuted block to the north, the painted brick walls here clearly intended as a temporary meausre. These drawings also show the cloakroom sinks and the cookery room range.

References

Bibliography

Broughty Ferry ADPs, book 6, pp 153-164; G Bettridge, THE DUNDEE BOARD SCHOOLS, OU project 1976; Sonya MacAngus, 'William Gillespie Lamond and Charles G Soutar, Free Style Architecture in Dundee c1900-1910', University of St Andrews, 1982; David M Walker, 'Lamond of Dundee', in ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW, April 1958.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BROUGHTY FERRY, 2 WHINNYBRAE, EASTERN PRIMARY SCHOOL, INCLUDING WALL AND ENTRANCE GATES, AND PLAYSHEDS AND_LAVATORIES AT REAR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/11/2018 19:33