There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- NO 46293 30930
- 346293, 730930
1838 with later alterations and additions including subway 1886; interior alterations and glazed timber infill 2000-2012; signal box (renewed and relocated) 2012 (see Notes).
Coursers, random rubble, brick, timber, cast-iron, grey slate roofs. S range has 2- and 4-pane sash and case windows with chamfered margins, decorative bargeboards at E and W gables, cut-back eaves at N and S, cast-iron rainwater goods.
N ELEVATION: paired gables with 2 windows at ground floor; wallhead gable at left return elevation; ground floor masked by subway entrance; 2 doors and clock at right return elevation; single storey section recessed at right with flagstone paved platform, kingpost timber roof supported on 10 slender cast-iron columns with decorative brackets, N third boxed in with boarded ceiling, plain timber balance; late 19th century red brick WC bay at far right with cream brick dressings, piended roof at louvred ridge vent.
S ELEVATION: covered entrance passage from Gray Street and lean-to with bricked-up door masking ground floor of paired gables at right, 2 windows at 1st floor; higher block at left with 5 blocked windows and gableheaded attic door; lower bay at far left with chamfered angle and piended roof; brick bay at outer left.
SUBWAY: entrances at N and S with ashlar bases, ramped vertically glazed canopies with decorative cast-iron brackets.
Statement of Special Interest
Broughty Ferry is understood to be the oldest operational railway station in Scotland. Opening on the 6th October 1838 as part of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway, it retains its original twin-gabled station building with decorative timber bargeboards and is an important and early example of a small-scale railway station building with strong contextual and historic value within its building type.
Following change of use and alterations in the early 21st century, the building largely retains its original form and massing. The adjoining single storey section with a slate covered awning over cast-iron columns and brackets also largely retains its original profile, with later timber and glazed infill, 2004-12 set back from the platform edge.
A line drawing in James Malcolm's 'Parish of Monifieth' shows the station house and canopied platform in the 1840s. The 1886 drawing of the subway shows a covered timber passenger bridge formed from boarded panels and vertical glazing. A tall Caledonian Railway, Type 1 signal box on the N platform and timber footbridge were added around this time with the bridge passing through the base of the signal box. Both were dismantled in 2001 as part of the first phase of redevelopment at the station. A signal box was rebuilt, in replica, on the S platform in 2012.
The timber level crossing gates (renewed 1972) were removed in 1991 following the destruction of one set of gates in a locomotive accident.
Broughty Ferry is situated on the north bank of the Tay Firth opposite Tayport in Fife which it was linked to by ferry before the first Tay Bridge opened in 1878. In 1880 the line passed jointly to the Caledonian Railway and North British Railway.
Change of Category from B to A, 29 October 1991. List Description and Statutory Address updated as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).
James Malcolm, Parish of Monifieth (1910), p224. Dundee City archives, Ref: TC/MP 124, Copy Print of Plan and Longtitudinal Sections of Proposed Subway (1886); John Perkins, Steam Trains to Dundee (1975); Dundee Courier, 23 October 1991. The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box - A Pictorial History and Guide To Designs (1986). Peter Kay and Derek Coe, Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland (2010 - 3rd Edition).
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BROUGHTY FERRY, GRAY STREET, RAILWAY STATION INCLUDING SUBWAY
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 19/01/2019 14:45