Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 47866 31601
347866, 731601


Nave and transepts based on sketches by Charles Carmichael (Aberdeen, died Johannesburg 1895). Nave constructed under the direction of Duncan Carmichael (London, see NOTES), 1895; Transepts to original design under direction of T Lindsay Gray (Dundee) 1933; session room and vestries by T Lindsay Gray, 1979. Cruciform-plan, aisleless late Scots Gothic style church. Pink rock-faced and snecked masonry with buff long and short dressings, green slate roof; apse and vestries brick and harled with polished dressings. Windows mainly 3-light with intersecting or geometric tracery, hoodmoulds and mask label stops.

N ELEVATION: 5-bay. Porch 2nd bay from right with diagonal Buttresses capped with short crocketted pinnacles; moulded Gothic arch on nook shafts (glass doors 1984), sculpted figure of St Margaret of Scotland in canopied niche in crowstepped gable; lancet windows E and W elevations; round-headed arch to nave with daisy, thistle and rose motifs; fine rib-vaulted ceiling with lion rampant and thistle wreath boss. N transept at left; angle buttresses, large central window with narrow light to roof.

S ELEVATION: similar but with no porch.

W GABLE ELEVATION: angle burttresses, large window with curvilinear tracery, Celtic cross finial.

E ELEVATION: apse and vestries; polygonal apse with 4 square timber-frame windows abutting E gable, belfry in apex above (bell dated 1895); single storey 3-bay flat roofed (1979? addition.

INTERIOR: Lightly picked and snecked masonry, long and short polished dressings, cill course of grey ashlar; collar braced roof, braces supported on corbels sculpted with arms of European families, some descended from St Margaret.

Windows: nave, W, modelled on similar at Seton Chapel, E Lothian, glazing added 1933 as war memorial; nave, N and S, 7 saints' windows, including (unusually) the Blessed Virgin, 5 of which previously in the temporarychurch (1884-95); N transept, memorial to Normal Patullo by Herbert Hendrie of Edinburgh, circa 1937; S transept, memorial to Clement Godfrey, jute merchant, by T T and C E Stewart, Glasgow 1933. Font designed by Charles Carmichael, executed by David Tocher, mason, Broughty Ferry; pulpit designed by Charles Soutar, circa 1912; brass eagle lectern a replica of that given to Holyrood Abbey by Abbot George Crighton when made Bishop of Dunkeld by James IV in 1526 (now in St Stephen's Church, St Alban's, Hertfordshire), 1896.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Congregation established 1884 in galvanised church now incorporated into church hall, S, having previously been used in Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen, and St Luke's, Broughty Ferry. External and internal stone of nave reputed to be from Brox and Drumyellow quarries respectively, both east of Denhead of Arbirlot, Arbroath. Porch adapted from St Mary's, Whitekirk, North Berwick; name modelled on the Collegiate Church at Biggar. Original sketch included a chancel and tower at the crossing. Kinship, if any, between Charles and Duncan Carmichael is unestablished. Charles Carmichael was a founder member of the Aberdeen Ecclesiological Society, of which the Rev Thomas Newbigging Adamson, first minister of St Margaret's (1884-1911) was also a member. Adamson's ecclesiological interests strongly influenced the design of the Church, based upon a 'view of a church designed by the late Charles Carmichael', published with the latter's obituary, op cit. Tradesmen for nave (1895): James Scott, mason, Ellis and Macher, joiners, Peter Lorimer, Plumber, all Broughty Ferry; James Laburn and Sons, Plasterers and slaters, R Farquharson and Son, glaziers, N Norwell, painter, all Dundee.



Broughty Ferry ADPs, book 2, p 60; Dundee ADPs, book 75 pp 155-157; George Watt, THE STORY OF ST MARGARET's CHURCH, BARNHILL, 1884-1984, (1984); ST MARGARET'S BARNHILL, PICTORIAL BOOKLET, CHURCH AND PARISH, (1984); James MacLaren file (D M Walker); J Malcolm, PARISH OF MONIFIETH, (1910), p 112; DUNDEE ADERTISER, 20th December 1894; Obituary, Charles Carmichael, in TRANSACTIONS OF THE ABERDEEN ECCLESIOLOGICAL SOCIETY, vol 2, part v; The Rev James F G Orr, 'St Margaret's Parish Chgurch, Barnhill, BroUGHTY Ferry', in TRANSACTIONS OF THE SCOTTISH ECCLESIOLOGICAL SOCIETY, v4, part 3, 1914-15.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BARNHILL, INVERMARK TERRACE, BARNHILL ST MARGARET'S CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/03/2023 03:11