There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 29/10/1991
- Local Authority: Dundee
- Planning Authority: Dundee
- Burgh: Dundee
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NO 47671 32573
- Coordinates: 347671, 732573
Rebuilt later 18th century, extended to W larter 19th century incorporating fragments of ruined chapel of St Andrew. Single and 2-storey, irregular-plan mill on falling ground. Random pink and cream sandstone and whinstone rubble, coursed whinstone at W extension, grey slate roof. Some moulded architraves.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay block at left; door at right with moulded architraves, 2 frameless windows at 1st floor, 2 gables at right return with bricked-up window and various openings, evidence of roof formerly extending over lade and waterwheel from block at right. 3-bay block at right; 3 windows at ground and 1st floor, originally 24-pane but some missing and boarded.
S ELEVATION: dor at left, small opening at right, partially blocked window at 1st floor centre with moulded archtrave; piended roof.
E ELEVATION: roofless advanced bay at left with moulded niche at ground floor, frameless window at 1st, red brick quoins at angle right; this bay masks door with moulded architrave and window at main elevation.
Bay at rightwith blocked segmental window at left with smaller window above. Bay at far right with partially blocked window.
ELEVATION: paired gables, door at left with large rough hewn dressings, blank gable at right.
INTERIOR: circular stone-lined kiln; dilapidated remains of waterwheel and machinery; ashlar and roll moulding in wheel chamber.
Statement of Special Interest
B group with Balmossie, Road Bridge over Dichty Water; Panmure Bleachfield Cottages and Stable Block; Panmure Bleachfield, House/Tenement; Panmure Bleachfield, Road Bridge over Dichty Water. There has been a mill at Balmossie from at least 1692 when James Pittlock and Alexander Watts of the Mill were involved in a poaching incident (Dalhousie papers). Gauldie mentions that in 1723 repairs to the tune of $674 were needed, suggesting that the mill had been in existence for some considerable time. Warden however, echoing the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT states in 1884 that the mill was built 'a little more than a centrury ago' with stones from the ruined chapel of St Andrew 'Eglismonichty', situated on the opposite bank of the Dichty, a chapel perhaps originating as early as the eighth century. It is therefore assumed that rebuilding or major renovation work took place during the mid 18th century; the OS mpas of 1857-58 ahd 1901 show that major additions were made between these dates. The moulded architraves are presumed to derive from the chapel. The mill has been disused since circa 1920 and is now ruinous but retains a considerable amount of machinery. The kiln is unusual in that it has a circular floor and is stone rather than brick, and that its form is not expressed externally. The waterwheel construction type is also very unusual. The mill has been recorded by the RCAHMS and details of machinery etc are contained therein.
Enid Gauldie, THE SCOTTISH COUNTRY MILLER (1981), pp 110, 204; Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1884), vIV, p 369; J Malcolm PARISH OF MONIFIETH(1910), pp 16, 27-28; Dalhousie Papers, SRO DG45/18/45; NSA (1842), vXI.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.