Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TAY RAILWAY BRIDGELB25681

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
30/06/1989
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 39143 27850
Coordinates
339143, 727850

Description

William Henry Barlow, 1882-87, incorporating parts of the first Tay Bridge by Sir Thomas Bouch, 1871-7. Contractors for the first bridge were Charles de Bergue and Co and Hopkinson Gilkes and Co; and for the second, William Arrol and Co. Railway viaduct principally of wrought-iron. Listing covers the full 10,711-feet (3.264km) length of the bridge, including brick viaducts at Newport and Dundee ends and the downstream piers of the first bridge. From S to N.

a) WORMIT: 4 brick arches and piers, 50' spans, widening to S for diversion of lines to Newport and Edinburgh.

b) SOUTH APPROACH, piers 4-28 are twin wrought-iron cylinders lined with brickwork and filled with concrete below water level. Connecting tie of cast and wrought-iron, brick and concrete at high water level. Hollow superstructure of octagonal wrought-iron plate piers linked by an arch. Girders spanning 129 and 145 feet, arranged in 4s, Barlow's 2 new girders sandwiched between Bouch's re-used girders. Both types are of double-triangular wrought-iron. Corrugated-iron and steel decking. Wrought-iron lattice parapet with wooden rail.

c) NAVIGATION SPANS, 13 spans of 245 and 227 feet, on a similar substructure to that of the South Approach. Parabolic hog-backed girders (all by Arrol), above track level give a clearance for ships of 77 feet. Cast-iron segmental arches on cast-iron piers with dated plaques at entrances to navigation sections.

d) NORTH APPROACH, gradient falling towards Dundee, has 37 spans, Nos 42-53 similar to the South Approach. Nos 54-77 curve towards the station, having narrower spans on trabeated cast-iron piers filled with brick and concrete.

e) ESPLANADE SECTION, piers 78-85: 2 wrought-iron skew arches on brick piers over Riverside Drive, then 4 spans of wrought-iron girders on cast-iron columns, grouped in 4s. Later fish-bellied girders cantilevered out to carry station platform.

f) BR DIVISION CIVIL ENGINEER, TAYBRIDGE, OFFICE AND WORKSHOPS (excluding modern building at track level), late 19th century, in place of 100-foot hog-backed girder over original Esplanade. 3 wide arches, red brick with yellow brick bands to N and S elevations. Wrought-iron footbridge on cast-iron columns approaches pedestrian subway.

g) VIADUCT of original bridge inclines to ground level on 34 arches and a ramp. W-most arch has a parapet.

Statement of Special Interest

The longest bridge in Britain and perhaps the biggest wrought-iron structure in the world. The high girders of the first bridge blew down on 28.12.1879.

References

Bibliography

Dundee A.D. P. s

J S Shipway THE TAY RAILWAY BRIDGE, DUNDEE (1877-1987), A REVIEW OF ITS ORIGIN. (ICE 1987).

J Thomas THE TAY BRIDGE DISASTER, NEW LIGHT ON THE 1879 TRAGEDY (1972.)

J Prebble THE HIGH GIRDERS (1956).

PROC ICE 8.5 1888: "The Tay Viaduct, Dundee" by Crawford Barlow and "The Construction of the Tay Viaduct" by William Inglis.

SRO BR/NBR/4/130 Report of the Committee of Inquiry into the Tay Bridge Disaster, and the Report of Mr Rothery (1880).

SRO RHP 45900 (Bouch, 1864).

SRO RHP 34410, 45914 (Barlow, 1881).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TAY RAILWAY BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2019 23:21