Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1A WEST BELL STREET, 18 CONSTITUTION ROAD, REGIONAL MUSIC CENTRE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS, FORMERLY BELL STREET UP CHURCHLB25622

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/02/1965
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40011 30460
Coordinates
340011, 730460

Description

James Black, 1840. 2-storey and basement, 5-bay, classical former church on falling ground corner site. Sandstone ashlar, stugged to basement, rusticated to ground floor, polished to 1st floor, rubble to rear, concealed roof. Band course to ground and 1st floor, pilastered 1st floor with corniced frieze, corniced parapet with shallow-pedimented stepped panels to centre and balustrade to outer bays; timber cross windows with ventilators at transom and leaded glazing, architraved to 1st floor with cill bands over blind panels.

WEST BELL STREET ELEVATION: 2-leaf panelled door with astragalled fanlight approached by steps oversailing basement to each slightly advanced outer bay, window to 1st floor, 3 windows to ground and 1st floor at 3 centre bays; various basement openings.

CONSTITUTION ROAD ELEVATION: various openings to basement, 3 windows to 1st and 2nd floor of 3 centre bays, window in recessed round-headed panel to ground floor at each slightly advanced outer bay, window to 1st floor. Lower recessed modern addition to left.

GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: 2 sets of cast-iron gatepiers to Ward Road elevation, 1 pier to Constitution Road, spear-headed railings to both elevations.

INTERIOR: fine plaster ceiling; pews removed; trussed compound floor beams over basement hall.

Statement of Special Interest

This building was originally a church, of 1300 sittings for the Antiburgher congregation which split from the School Wynd Congregation in 1751 and built their first church in 1764. Later amalgamated into the UP Church, and was latterly the Trades' School. No longer in ecclesiastical use. It was designed to be the eastmost pavilion of a classical terrace; only this building and the adjoining No 1 (also listed) were built, the terrace being completed later in the century to a different style (listed at Nos 3-7, and 9 West Bell Street).

References

Bibliography

McKean and Walker (1993), p55; DUNDEE ADVERTISER, 22 May 1840.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1A WEST BELL STREET, 18 CONSTITUTION ROAD, REGIONAL MUSIC CENTRE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS, FORMERLY BELL STREET UP CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 05:41