Frederick T Pilkington (Pilkington and Bell) 1869-70 later (perhaps 1899) extended to S in same style. Muscular gothic church with steeple, basement halls and vestry to S. Ashlar, with lighter stone bands and details.
NE corner tower and spire: doorway to Shepherd's Loan within pointed cusped arch on nook-shafts with stiff-leaded capitals. Carved tympanum. Memorial to Rev R M McCheyne in granite in gabletted niche to N. Band course with paterae. 2nd stage square-section with chamfered angles and lancets. Chamfers broaden into gabletted corona at octagonal belfry stage - alternately louvred. Facetted spire and wrought-iron cross finial.
Twin gabled N elevation: pointed arched door with carved tympana and spandrels within square hoodmoulds. Nook shafts. 2-lights to right 5 lights to left with impost-level stiff-lead capitals. Geometrical traceried rose window over, within pointed arched panel and richly carved tympanum. Large 5-light traceried window with wheel, quatrefoiled base panels and stepped hoodmould cross finial. Hoodmoulded quatrefoil to right of rose window.
Side elevations: triple gabled. Large rose over 5-light bowed ground floor at centre, flanking 2-light pointed window over 3-light ground floor with impost-level stiff-leafed capitals. Rock-faced masonry to basement hall.
S addition: re-entrant angles filled by large bows, 5-light to W, 4-light with stair turret and conical slate roof to E elevation.
S gable: large trefoiled rose over 2 lancets. Celtic cross finial.
Slate roofs. Ornate fleche and wrought-iron finial.
Windows stained glass and cathedral-pane glazing to church, sash and case windows, 8-pane glazing pattern, to halls.
Vestry/Office: 2-storey gabled, 2- and 3-light windows to Shepherd's Loan. Tall wallhead stacks.
Railings modern, except short wrought-iron stretch beside tower.
Interior: galleried with high-quality woodwork to gallery, curved pews and pulpit. Large organ. Timber double-framed roof with wrought-iron collar rods. Good stained glass, some recent, by T S Halliday and A L Russell, among others, to World Wars to Mr Marshall, organist and to Ministers, Kenneth McIver and Andrew Forrest.