Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 39365 29763
339365, 729763


Frederick T Pilkington (Pilkington and Bell) 1868-9, extended

1879 by Ireland and MacLaren. Muscular well-detailed and

massed gothic church with steeple and basement hall. Two-tone

ashlar with coloured bands and details.

TOWER and spire at NE corner: shoulder arched door in

pointed porch to E, advanced gablet to N with 2-light window

and hexafoil rose. Square tower with clasping buttresses

chamfered at 3 stages. Paired louvred lancets at belfry

stage, linked at base of 2nd stage and at impost level by

dog-tooth bands. Octagonal spire with decorated bands and


Impressively wide N ELEVATION: elaborate centre piece with

paired pointed-arched doorways under taller arches

depressed 1 arched with hexafoil and carving in tympana,

carved foliated band course all within wide arched porch.

Large pointed arches recess over, with twin 2-light windows,

quatrefoils and hexafoil in elaborately carved tympana. Cross

finial. Similar but simpler windows to gablets flanking door.

Stepped blind arcading over. 2-light window to right bay,

tall gabletted lancet over, breaks eaves of steep pavilion

roof. Wrought-iron finial.

W ELEVATION: left to right: steep pyramidal roof over twin

lancets, 3 advanced asymmetrical gabletted bays; 2-light with

quatrefoil at left; centre 4-light with large trefoiled

tympanum, 5-light bow at ground floor; right (added 1879)

smaller 4-light gable; slightly advanced at ground floor.

E elevation similar. Finials missing.

REAR ELEVATION Ireland and MacLaren, 1879: pyramidal-roofed

turrets with wrought-iron finials and cusped lancets in

re-entrant angles between side gables and chancel, chamfered

infill at ground floor. Large rose in S gable. Gable end

stack. Vestry 2-storey, 2 bays of shouldered arched windows

to S, blank chamfered wall to neighbouring property.

Session House/hall, single storey, canted E elevation with

cusped lancets and vesica.

Slate roofs. Small-pane leaded glazing, some stained glass.

Cathedral panes to vestry and hall.

INTERIOR U-plan gallery on stout masonry columns and timber

twisted barley-sugar columns. Slim cast-iron columns at

gallery level carry hammerbeam roofs of gables, timber with

wrought-iron ties. Ornate bowed timber pulpit and organ case

(minus pipes). Original pews and light fittings. Stained glass

windows, 4 in 1897 and 4 by Stephen Adam, Glasgow 1903.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The Lyon MacKenzie

window has been moved, with the congregation and some of

the furnishings, to Roseangle Ryehill Church, 130 Perth Road.



Dundee Advertiser 17th June 1893

McKean and Walker (1984), pp.76-7.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 158 PERTH ROAD, ST MARK'S CHURCH (GATE FELLOWSHIP)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/07/2024 10:18