1836. Single-storey and basement, with 2-storey
accommodation within the W and rear portion.
Graeco-Egyptian villa of remarkable design. Ashlar S and
E, rubble N and W elevations.
3-bay E elevation with central advanced entrance flanked
by Greek Doric engaged columns in antis between single
windows in ramped, lugged architraves within recesses
formed by angle pilasters with simply incised Greek
detail. 5-bay S elevation similarly detailed with central
bay advanced, a consoled ramped window between pilasters
approached by steps. Entablature decorated by wreaths.
Parapet has acroteria over centre bays. N and W elevations
plain single, bi- and tripartite windows on 2 floors,
with simple angle pilasters. All windows sash and case
with 12-paned glazing pattern. Shallow piended slate
roofs surround central domed metal-roofed cupola. Small
square-section corniced stacks.
INTERIOR: octagonal vestibule with niches and tiled floor. High-ceilinged principal rooms lead from remarkable domed
inner hall lit by lantern cupola. Paired Ionic columns in
angles. Stencil-decorated doors and doorpieces, lively
plaster work and marble chimneypieces in principal rooms.
Low garden walls to N and S with pedestals for urns and
statuary (recently removed). Higher, curved walls at
Magdalen Place, 2 square gatepiers, 1 consoled, both with