Attributed to Samuel Bell, 1790. 2-storey and basement with attic to rear, 3-bay classically-detailed house with single storey and basement, single-bay pavilion wings. Squared cherry-cocked sandstone with ashlar dressings, coursers to wings, random rubble sides and rear, grey slate roof, piended to wings. Band course to ground floor, eaves course; margined windows, 24-pane bowed timber sash and case frames to front and top floor rear, multi-pane elsewhere, piended dormers to rear with
modern out-of character frames. Rusticated quoins to front, margined angles to rear, ashlar-coped skews with skewblocks; corniced and margined gable stacks to main house, wallhead stacks to wings.
FRONT ELEVATION: door to centre with fanlight and engaged-columned Ionic doorpiece approached by steps oversailing basement with plain wrought-iron railings, window to left and right, 3 windows to 1st floor, blocked window to roofspace at gables; window to slightly recessed wings.
REAR ELEVATION: 3 square windows and door formed from window to basement, 4 tall windows to principal floor, 4 windows to 1st floor, 3 dormers, blocked window to return gables at principal floor level; door, basement and ground floor window to recessed wings.
INTERIOR: altered at banking floor.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low boundary wall to front elevation with cast- and wrought-iron railings and gates, stout buttressed wall to E formerly to the Town Hospital, rubble-built wall to W, garden terrace, former sea wall to S.