Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HARRISON ROAD, TIMEX FACTORYLB25448

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/09/1989
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 37159 32964
Coordinates
337159, 732964

Description

Bennet, Beard and Williams, 1946-7, full length achieved circa 1960. Clock and watch factory with long horizontal Modern facades. Yellow stock brick cladding on rubble-built base. Set on the crest of a hill with lawns sloping to the S.

S ELEVATION: single storey manufacturing block has contoinuous band of windows with concrete mullions. High coped parapet. Projecting red rubble built entrance approached by steps to right with flat roof and cantilevered canopy. Taller flat-roofed office block at E, 4-light window asymmetrically placed to balance "TIMEX" sign.

E ELEVATION: office stepped down at left. Horizontal band of windows partly infilled and reduced to 3 single lights. Angled works entrance set back to right: original 6-leaf doors beneath concrete canopy. Porthole to left.

Windows: most have original metal framed glazing pattern.

Low rubble-built garden wall runs from the office entrance to Harrison Road, with semi-circular bow to accommodate flag-pole.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for U K TIME, branch of United States Time Corporation, watch manufacturers. Brought modern American mass production line methods to Dundee. As with NCR, Kingsway WEst, given a prime site to encourage international investment. Became TIMEX in 1854, the largest domestic supplier of watches in the UK and exported 90% of all watch products. Subsequently moved into polaroid and other cameras and in 1981 produced the Sinclair flat screen pocket television.

References

Bibliography

Fiona Sinclair, SCOTSTYLE, 150 YEARS OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE.

(1984) pp93-94.

McKean and Walker (1984), p122

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HARRISON ROAD, TIMEX FACTORY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/11/2019 22:46