William Burn, 1843-4, rebuilt on site of choir after fire of 1841.
East-most of City Churches. Clerestoried nave and aisles, decorated Gothic ashlar church. Hall by William Alexander 1896-7. Windows stained glass or small leaded panes. Slate roof.
S ELEVATION: 5 buttressed bays with Gothic geometric and flowing traceried windows, basket-arch door at left. Continuous cill course and impost-level hoodmould. Niches in buttresses. Parapet broken by 2-light clerestorey windows in pointed ogee-arched heads. Blind quatrefoil parapet with gargoyle spouts.
E GABLE: large flowing traceried mullioned and transomed window over basket-arch door. Angle buttresses with pinnacles. Crocket-decorated gable with cross-finial.
N ELEVATION: similar to S elevation but without buttresses. Single-storey, T-plan hall added 1897, flowing traceried windows in gables. Stack and small louvred ventilator fleche.
INTERIOR: nave and aisles on round-arched arcade and stout clustered piers. Galleried aisles, horse-shoe at rear on cast-iron columns. Timber hammer-beam roof. Flat ceiling at collar level. Outstanding stained glass by the best English and Scottish makers: Morris and Co (E Jubilee window 1897, figures by Sir Edward Burne-Jones except St Bartholomew by William Morris, Enoch and Abraham clerestorey windows by Morris, Faith Hope and Charity in N aisle by Burne-Jones); Daniel Cottier and Co (Transfiguration and Resurrection); Newcastle Stained Glass Co (Good Samaritan); Small (1867, Nativity and Flight into Egypt); Ballantine (Gethsemane); Powell and Son (Baptism of Christ); A
L Russell (St Ninian, Mary, David Earl of Huntingdon) and T S Halliday (1966). Furnishings: organ by Forster and Andrews of Hull, 1865, repaired 1908, 1939 and 1969, Gothic case. Pews replaced 1940. Old reading desk formed from the 17th century pulpit of the Parish Church. Carved timber pulpit screen. Timber Black Watch War Memorial by Thoms and Wilkie, woodwork by H H Martyn and Co, Cheltenham, 1921. Hall:
timber collar-beam roof, mezzanine inserted 1964.