William Burn, 1841-2, executed by David Bryce, 1847 on site of transepts of Parish Church, later South and Cross Churches. Ashlar decorated Gothic style church located between St Mary's and Steeple Churches. Windows stained glass, intersecting squares and hexagons. Slate roof.
S ELEVATION: gabled transept with large Y- and curvilinear-traceried pointed-arch window (inspired by the W window of the tower). Angle buttresses with pinnacles. Crocketted gable with cross finial. E and W return elevations have large similarly traceried windows with quatrefoil-pierced parapet. 2 buttressed bays to W, set-back from transept in plane of St Clement's Church, with large traceried windows and blind quatrefoil parapet. Basket-arch doorways beneath 2 windows, 1 to South Church, 1 to a through pend.
N ELEVATION: similar, but gable un-buttressed and parapets undecorated.
INTERIOR: some partitions and mezzanine inserted at S end.
Impressive timber and plaster rib vaulting in imitation of stone
springing from ashlar pilaster piers. 20th century stained glass.
Concealed plaster-panelled ceiling in adjoining rooms, formerly a