Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

INVERGOWRIE DRIVE INVERGOWRIE HOUSELB25369

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
04/02/1965
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 36189 30392
Coordinates
336189, 730392

Description

1600 L-plan tower house with possible medieval elements and late 18th century semi-circular office range. Remodelled as a U-plan by William Burn 1837. 2-storey and basement rubble-built with ashlar dressings (latter mainly by Burn). W ELEVATION: main part 5-bay, margined openings enlarged by Burn. Ground floor 3-light ashlar oriel on corniced brackets. Consoled balcony with fretworked balusters to right. 1st floor 5-light gabletted windows piercing eaves. Corbelled 1st floor angle turret at right, 3 small lights, 2 blind. Semi-circular trurret to left of oriel, 1600, corbelled out at ground floor, small lights, 1 blind, over. Bay to left, oldest part of tower, windows enlarged and block to left advanced in mid 19th century: single bay with crow-stepped attic gablet and 1st floor corbelled angle turret.

N ELEVATION: gabled hoodmoulded porch and 3 bays to left by Burn, basement earlier but with openings remodelled. 1st floor gabletted windows pierce eaves. Tall wallhead stack between 2nd and 3rd bays. Carved gablet head armorial (PG: AN) of 1600 repositioned in porch. Later crow-stepped galbe advanced to right with blocked ground floor window and stack. S ELEVATION: by Burn 1837 except set-back gable at left. 3-bays with ground floor band course, 1st floor string course and gabletted 2nd floor windows piercing eaves. Flanking swept conical-roofed angle turrets, that at right corbelled out at 2nd, that at left 3-storey. Set back gable at left, 1600, with ground floor canted and corniced oriel, crow steps and stack by Burn.

W ELEVATION: fine semi-circular-plan service court with central pend and flanking garage doors. 2-bay part at S raised to 2-storey in mid 19th century with shallow crowstepped gable, unfortunately stone-cleaned and with modern sun lounge to S. 3 crow-stepped gables to main range, N wing with projecting kitchen stack.

COURTYARD ELEVATION: 2 stair towers, that to right 1837 with catslide roof and margined windows, that to left earlier, with conical roof and original window openings. Modern steps and 1st floor proch. Ground floor extension with lean-to roof by Burn with gabletted window, now door, beside blocked entrance. Later 2-storey 1-bay crowstepped projection obscures left stair tower.

INTERIOR: Part of basement of W elevation is vaulted and has thick walls. Egg and dart cornices to ground and 1st floor fo S wing. Coombed ceiling in W block 1st floor. Some marble chimneypieces. Main horseshoe stair has coved and corniced plaster ceiling. Turnpike stair by Burn. Slate roofs, swept conical turrets with finials, older slate over the 2 turrets in W elevation. Tall margined stacks. Unusual circular-plan stack rises into 8-sided star-plan at NW. Windows sash and case, mainly 12-pane glazing pattern.

Statement of Special Interest

Reconstructed in 1600 for Patrick Gray and Anne Napier. Later the home of G D C Henderson, Commander RN.

Now 4 flats.

References

Bibliography

NMRS Burn plans (1837)

McKean and Walker (1984) p131.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INVERGOWRIE DRIVE INVERGOWRIE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 21:01