Joseph Aloysius Hansom (London) 1865. Remarkable gothic revival church and asymmetrical presbytery, rubble-built with ashlar dressings.
a) CHURCH: domdinated by octagonal 5 chancel tower. 5 tall and 2 short cusp-traceried windows with clasping buttresses, flying as base. Loer stage of tower battered. Facetted stumpy spire with bands of fish-scale slates and wrought-iron finial. Lady chapel to W, semi-circular apse with 6 cusped lights and semi-conical roof, traceried window in W gable. Side elevations: steep slate roofs, row of clerestory lights to nave, and small paired windows to aisles divided by buttresses rising from battered base.
N gable central buttress with niche, blind arcade at ground altered to doors. 2 hoodmoulded lights and 2 quatrefoils over. Timber bellcote at apex. Porch at NW with original pointed arched hoodmoulded door, clasping buttress and 1 bay W gable. Semi-octagonal projection at E with small geometric traceried windows, facetted roof and wrought-iron finial. INTERIOR: notable constructional polychromy. Grey stone piers carry yellow brick arcades with red sandstone bands engaged shafts support steep timber arch-braced roof trusses. Lean-to roofs in aisles. Side walls: low blind arcaded corbel table with stations of the cross. Dark nave contrasts with well-lit chancel having a high prisimatic roof, stained glass, and flamboyant after piece by A B Wall of Cheltenham, 1897. Similar altar in arcaded Lady Chapel. Lower parts of side walls, Lady Chapel and blind arcade in chancel unfortunately hidden by modern wooden panels. Enlarged gallery and later organ at rear.
b) Large 2-storey PRESBYTERY, asymmetrically aligned to High Street, with few right-angles.
Plane to High Street has large pointed arched entrance in simply carved surround with flanking quatrefoils and 2-light openings. Canted bay facing aspe of church 2-bays to E recessed at 1st floor with central wedge. Ground floor shouldered arched door. Main ground floor windows have segmental arched transom bearing mullion to upper, painted, part 1st floor single light transomed and cross windows, some with modern glazing. Gothic dormers to rear elevation, one with mullion missing. Slate roof, 4 stacks (1 rebuilt, 1 missing).
Interior somewhat altered, but tudor chimneypieces and a panelled ceiling survive.