There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 12/07/1963
- Local Authority: Dundee
- Planning Authority: Dundee
- Burgh: Dundee
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NO 41325 31790
- Coordinates: 341325, 731790
John Dick Peddie and Charles Kinnear, 1863-8, altered 1889 and enlarged 1913-15 by James H Langlands. School in manner of Flemish Gothic cloth hall commanding a triangular site. 2-storey symmetrical towered and gabled front; simpler 3-storey rear added 1913-15, coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, buttressed and 1st floor cill course.
S ELEVATION: central advanced 120 foot tower approached by steps with quatrefoil pierced balusters. Depressed-arched nook-shafted entrance under ogee hoodmould between angle buttresses. 1st floor mullioned and transomed window with traceried mouchettes over and spiral nookshafts at angles. Corbelled out angle turrets at 3rd stage linked by machicolated balcony over triple-light window and clock. Steep slate roof with 2-tier richly carved ashlar dormer, louvred traceried lantern with swept roof and lucarnes to each face. Conical fish-scale slate roof with weather vane to each turret. Flanking bays have oriels and crow-stepped gables. Cross windows with finialed dormer heads at 1st. Ends advanced, 3-light at ground, 2-light at 1st with traceried heads, crow-stepped gables topped by tall circular chimney stack.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: in similar style but asymmetrical at W with 3-storey French-roofed stair block. 3 1st floor pointed arched traceried window to former chapel at E elevation. Stair blocks with very tall windows and swept pavilion roofs added no N of each elevation, 1913-15, adjoining ends of classrooms with 2-tier attic and M-gable. Tall stacks.ventilator ducts.
N ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-storey, windows arranged 1-2-1 with gablet dormerheads to bipartites. Mullioned half-height mazzanine windows at crow-stepped ends. Advanced single storey toilet blocks demolished 1992. Art nouveau stamen type wrought-iron railings to ventilator intake. Slate roofs with wrought-iron brattishing (missing from E ridge, S front) and elaborate finials. Tall shafted stacks. Louvred fleche ventilators with lead facetted swept roofs and ornate finials. Flat roof to S of rear addition ("for geographical and scientific observations") with stamen-type railings. Top-hopper windows, vertical astragals removed from 1860s block. Original glazing pattern, mainley 8-pane top hoppers, to N elevation.
INTERIOR: corridors to courtyard elevations with timber partitions to classrooms in 1860s part, plastered walls to 1913 part. Mezzanine balconies now blocked. False ceiling in staff room, former chapel, obscures timber arched-braced roof. Gothic detailed war memorial in vestibule, Thomas and Wilkie, architects. Courtyard roofed to form hall in 1889 with graceful arched steel lattice roof, platform fitted 1913-15. Cantled bay from S block.
JANITOR'S HOUSE: 1863-6, raised from 1 to 2-storey in 1915. Rubble-built 3-bay, centre pointed arched hoodmoulded door, flanking bipartites with gablet dormerheads. Crowstepped gables and end stacks. Slate roof. TERRACE to front with quatrefoil pierced balustrades.
Low boundary wall. 4 square ashlar gatepiers, gates missing, to Stobswell gusset. Similar gatepiers at each end of terrace. Railings missing except at N part of Pitkerro Road, where the are Gothic cast and wrought iron
Statement of Special Interest
Originally the Morgan Hospital, founded by John Morgan of Balgay House, 1760-1850. Money made in India was to go towards the foundation of an institution modelled on Heriot's Hospital, Edinburgh. Completed after a legal wrangle and opened in February 1868. Reopened 1889 under the Dundee School Board as the Morgan Academy.
Large N extension 1991-92 by Tayside Regional Council Architects Department.
SOUVENIR OF THE FORMAL OPENING OF THE ENLARGED AND RECONSTRUCED ACADEMY THE THE RIGHT HONOURABLE VISCOUNT HALDANE KT OM 14 SEPTEMBER 1915 (1916); THE BUILDER April 29, 1871, p327; DARC E/MP/D/16.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.