Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 40453 30694
340453, 730694


Samuel Bell with plans by James Craig made in 1769.

Church dated 1772, completed 1774. Rectangular plan

church with Palladian details and classical steeple.

Rubble-built, perhaps originally harled, with ashlar


W TOWER: 5 stages, set back at each stage. 1st and 2nd

stages square section, 2 tiers of round headed openings,

dentil cornice at eaves level of church. 2nd stage

Diocletian window, swag and oval plaque ("Restored 1939").

3rd stage with set-back angles, clock face to each

elevation, urns at angles. 4th stage octagonal with

arched louvred belfry openings between attached angle

columns. Octagonal spire with 3 tiers of oculi and dragon

weather vane.

S ELEVATION OF KIRK: symmetrical. Central foundation

plaque dated 1772 over a later monument. 2 central

Venetian windows with Ionic pilasters, beneath swags, 2

bays to either side with arched doorways and 2 tiers of

arched windows with keystones and imposts. Dentil cornice.

N ELEVATION: 2-storey 5-bay with similar arched windows,

centre bay altered to receive passage from halls.

E GABLE: piend-roofed porch, some arched openings

blocked. Semi-circular window with circular and Y-tracery.

(perhaps originally Diocletian?). Flanking arched windows.

Blind oculus, skewputt and gable apex and angle urn

finials. Slate roof.

Windows altered for stained glass, formerly sash and case.

INTERIOR: semi-octagonal gallery on 6 Doric columns with

later emblems of the Trades. Panelled pulpit with Ionic

pedimented backboard against centre of S wall. Plain

walls and flat ceiling. Stained glass in Venetian windows

presented by the Three and Nine Trades, by Gordon and

Watt 1892, others by Mayer and Co and, post World War

II, by William Wilson, Gordon Webster and Douglas Hogg.

Organ. banners of the Nine Trades and their chairs.

Graveyard, partly remodelled as a garden of remembrance in

1953, contains 18th and 19th century monuments.

GATEPIERS: 1810, altered 1828, 4 square section rusticated

ashlar gatepiers with urn finials. Wrought and cast-iron

railings on low boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Listing excludes modern hall and passage. The Hall in the

Glasite Chapel is listed separately.

The Nine Trades of Dundee had strong links with

St Andrews Church.



McKean and Walker (1984) p 35 G Hay, POST REFORMATION

CHURCHES (1957) pp 76, 81-2, 175.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 KING STREET, ST ANDREWS CHURCH, INCLUDING GRAVEYARD, GATE-PIERS, RAILINGS AND GATES. (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2019 07:13