George Angus, 1829-34; additions of various dates to courtyard and rear. Single and 2-storey, quadrangular-plan with symmetrical front, Greek Revival school. Cream sandstone ashlar, stugged and snecked rubble to courtyard and Bell Street elevations of gymnasium, coursers, brick and harl elsewhere, slate, lead and bitumen sheet roof. Massive ashlar base course, corniced and coped blocking course; 8-column hexastyle portico with fluted Doric columns, triglyphs and antefixae; pavilions with paired pilasters; architraved windows with continuous cill band, 16- and 24-pane timber sash and case frames, some with later
metal hoppers inserted.
FRONT ELEVATION: portico advanced to centre with coffered ceiling, shouldered moulded and corniced doorcase, First World War memorial plaque to right; single storey 6-bay wings recessed to left and right; slightly advanced single bay pavilions with stepped and corniced parapet.
LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: 2-storey, 10-bay. 2 pilastered bays slightly advanced to centre with windows to ground floor; 3 bays recessed to left and right, tripartite pilastered doorcase to centre with sidelights and entablature in segmental arch approached by steps with iron railings, window to left and right, 3 windows to 1st floor; single bay pavilions to far left and right with window to ground floor, memorial plaque to Sir David Anderson (former pupil, and engineer of Forth Road Bridge) at right pavilion, erected 1964.
RIGHT RETURN ELEVATION: 2-storey, 8-bay. 5 bays to left comprising tripartite doorcase to centre as left return elevation, window to left and right and 3 windows to 1st floor, pavilion bays slightly advanced to left and right with window to ground floor; 3 bays to right with windows to ground and 1st floor.
REAR ELEVATION: 2-storey, 9-bay gymnasium to centre; continuous cill band to 1st floor, corniced blocking course, 2 outer bays delineated by giant pilasters, 4-pane timber sash and case windows, some blocked at ground floor. Mid 20th century bays to left and right linking to gables of return elevations of original building.
COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: considerably altered.
INTERIOR: war memorials and memorial to Rev Richard Low (1796-1879), rector of Dundee Grammar School for 46 years in entrance hall, stone T-plan staircase with coped flanks and octagonal newels, well stair with cast-iron balusters, both fitted with cast-iron 'anti banister-sliding' devices. Most classrooms subdivided with original boarded dado masked by modern material; some flagstone floors; cast-iron struts to gymnasium roof, early example of climbing wall.
LODGE: 2-storey, rectangular-plan, 3-bay lodge at NE corner of site. Base course, 12-pane timber sash and case windows, corniced doorcase with fanlight and sidelights, corniced blocking course, flat roof (formerly pitched). Interior not seen.
GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: 2 coped ashlar gatepiers to E and W elevations, 2 pairs of concrete-coped monolithic gatepiers to front; ashlar boundary wall with post-Second World War metal railings enclosing semi-circular yard to front and sides, high rubble boundary wall to NW angle and part of N boundary with Bell Street.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.