Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CARNBEE VILLAGE CARNBEE PARISH CHURCH, CEMETERY, WALLS & GATEPIERSLB2512

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
01/03/1984
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Carnbee
NGR
NO 53169 6550
Coordinates
353169, 706550

Description

Built 1793-4. Simple rectangular-plan 6-bay church with low session house to west. Rubble-built with ashlar margins. 4 tall, round-headed windows with simple Y-tracery, square-headed door to each outer bay of long south wall: single small opening only on north wall.

Segmental-arched window on west gable below tiny blind oculus and re-used birdcage bellcote with tall pyramidal curved roof, taken from earlier church building. Piend-roofed low vestry, built 1838, has door to west elevation, window to south. Slate roofs.

Interior: seating plan altered before 1908, and gallery on east wall only remains. Church re-opened 1908 following

alterations by Sir Robert Lorimer, architect; simple oak-panelled dado against west wall with central pulpit,

carved with figures and with vine & grape decoration above carving by Clow brothers, Edinburgh. Oak font, also designed by Lorimer, and carved by William Wheeler Jnr of Arncroach.

Stained glass window in west wall inserted after 1886. 2 sets of Heraldic arms hang in gallery, those of Henry Bethune of Kilconquhar (dated 1787) and those of the 1st Earl of Kellie.

Churchyard enclosed by rubble-built walls with square-plan ashlar gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Most references give 1793 as the date of erection, but the Heritors Records show that building could barely have begun by December of that year.

Building Contractors were Andrew Horsburgh Wright in Pittenweem and David Ness mason in Ovenstone.

Advertisement for tenders in Edinburgh Courant, Aug 22. 1793.

Original seating plan by Alexander Leslie of Largo, architect (who was also works surveyor) with gallery against either short wall and Kellie gallery central.

Ecclesiastical building in use.

Sir Robert Lorimer was for a time a Heritor of this parish.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT p.918

SRO HR 82/1

82/2

Lorimer Drawings in SNMR

Typewritten notice in vestry (apparently copied from a

newspaper article)

G Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION CHURCHES,

1957. p.80.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARNBEE VILLAGE CARNBEE PARISH CHURCH, CEMETERY, WALLS & GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2022 19:14