Umpherston and Kerr 1833, 3-storey and attic 10-bay
fireproof mill with engine house at W, extended to W by a
2nd engine house, and 10 bays with basement, 3rd floor and
cast-iron attic in 1850 by Peter Carmichael with Randolph,
Elliot and Co. Rubble-built with ashlar margins. Slate
S elevation 4-storey and attic 23-bay mill, with blocked
basement windows in W section. Slightly advanced twin
central engine houses rise through 3-storeys fronted by 2
pairs of tripartite engine house windows with Doric
pilasters and segmental arches. Cast-iron tie-plate at 1st
floor level, cornice at 2nd floor level, 3 windows at 3rd
floor. Main cornice.
E elevation 3-bay gable to mill, 2 windows on each floor,
central bay blank, housing wall boxes, 3 oculi above main
cornice. Mansard roof with cast-iron urns. Projecting
square-plan stair tower with door and windows to E,
roundheaded at 4th floor. Blind windows to N, blank E
elevation. Tower beyond areas level added 1850 with
roundels to 4 sides. Circular cast-iron bellcote on 6
Doric columns linked by wrought-iron railings. Conical
spire with fishscale slates and iron finial.
N elevation 24-bay with central engine houses entered
through 2 doors, E with cast-iron lintel, W with large fan
light. 4 windows above, now blocked and 3 windows at 3rd
floor. Engine house flanked by tall projecting soil chutes
rising from cast-iron brackets at 1st floor. Skewed 3-bay W
gable with blind windows. 3 oculi over main cornice,
mansard roof with cast-iron urn finials.
Windows originally 56-pane, now 12-pane, sash and case.
Interior: fireproof, with 2 rows of cast-iron columns
carrying brick arches on cast-iron beams tensioned by
wrought-iron ties. Columns now encased in plasterboard
but brick arches and ties form the ceilings of most rooms.
Original spiral stairs at ends of mill, new stair inserted
in engine house, which has a painted brick arched ceiling
on cast-iron beams with later steel supports. Tripartite
windows have fine moulded soffits. Gothic cast-iron mansard
roof, probably the first of its kind in Dundee, with small
section open to view near lift. Basement high arched
ceiling on brick piers.
Statement of Special Interest
The biggest of Baxter Brothers' mills, the focal point
of what was for a while the world's largest linen works
and the 1850s showpiece of Dundee's textile industry.
Umpherston and Kerr reused the formula first tried on a
large scale in the Coffin Mill. The layout suggests that
the 1850 extension had been planned in 1833 but there
are interesting variations in beam form and ceiling heights
within the mill despite a uniform exterior. The 1850
extension was designed with the help of Randolph Elliot and
Co of Glasgow, soon to become famous marine engineers, but
it is not clear what their contribution was. The most
significant feature is the cast-iron roof, imitated in the
other Baxter mills, Verdant and Camperdown Works. It may
be the first example of the kind in the city.
A statue of James Watt, now missing, originally adorned
the wallhead over the engine house.
Converted to housing 1984-6.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.