G A Cox, apparently assisted by Peter Carmichael and with
some millwright work by J and C Carmichael, built in 3
stages begun in 1857, completed in 1868.
3-storey, basement and attic with 2-storey rear, 40-bay
fireproof jute mill 500' long with 100' high clock and
bell-tower at NE end and 2 N-facing pediments. Coursed
rubble with ashlar dressings.
N elevation 3-storey attic and sunken basement behind
cast-iron railings. 2 5-bay advanced pedimented sections
occupy the 9th to the 13th bays from each end. These contain
ground floor doors and one keystoned round-headed window
given an oriel.
in the tympanum of each pediment. Ball finials. W elevation:
9-bay, comprising 4-storey and attic 4-bay gable, 2 windows
in mansard attic with flat-topped finial and skewputts,
small corniced ashlar block at base, and 5-bay 2-storey
section to S with main cornice.
S elevation: 2-storey 40-bay with occasional ground floor
doors, main cornice and parapet. Similar S elevation to
multi-storey section at N with 2 upper floors, 40-bay with
main cornice. 3 larger windows to engine houses.
E elevation 2-storey, 5-bay section with cornice and 3-storey
and attic 4-bay section with 5-round-headed windows at
ground floor. Elaborately scrolled gable with ball finial. Square-section clock-tower rises from advanced rectangular
NE stair tower, channelled ashlar at ground floor, channelled
quoins at 1st and 2nd floors with windows in architraves.
3rd floor round-headed windows between pilasters. Dentil
cornice with pediments to N and S and balustrades to E
and W elevations.
Tall square-section clock stage, ashlar with large clock
faces to each elevation over bipartites. Consoled cornice.
Very large octagonal cast-iron bellcote with ogee roof and
Windows are original 6-pane top hoppers except ground floor
of S elevation. 4 pane sash and case. Mansard slate roof with full-length skylights.
Some ornate wought-iron street lamps.
Interior fireproof. Very long rows of cast-iron columns
carry cast-iron beams, brick arches and wrought-iron ties.
S wall of multi-storey mill is carried at ground floor on
a stone wall with openings in W, 1857, section. Central
and E sections carried on a colonnade of Tuscan columns.
Stone dividing wall separates early 1860s mill from 1867-8
E section. Ground floor to S, or 1st floor of 2-storey
section, has 4 long aisles of superb gothic cast-iron
roofs carried on 3 rows of cast-iron columns. Attic of
multi-storey block has fine gothic cast-iron roof carried
on 2 rows of clustered columns. W pediment has wooden roof.
E pediment is cast-iron. Main stairs in W pediment have
an unusual open cast-iron construction on cast-iron columns.
Stone spiral stairs in NE tower.
4 engine houses at ground floor, 3 grouped behind W pediment
with large windows to S at 1st floor. From W to E: (a)
small engine house with cast-iron or steel fixtures in
ceiling (b) very large engine house rising from basement
to 1st floor, projecting to S with large wooden mullioned
windows, later a generator house. (c) Medium-sized engine house
with 2 fluted cast-iron columns carrying arched support
for beam of 100hp beam engine by J and C Carmichael. Other
cast-iron fittings in ceiling with hole for beam floored
over. Masonry base. (d) horizontal engine house at E end
of mill, single-storey with 2 large battered and coved
masonry blocks. Wooden king post roof on carved gothic
brackets with louvred ridge skylight.
Statement of Special Interest
In terms of spindles, the world's biggest jute spinning mill.
Built for Cox Brothers, from 1920 the showpiece of Jute
Industries, having at one time over 5,000 employees. Of
particular interest is the ironwork in the roofs and the
engine houses. The columns in engine house (c) are the
most significant survival of a steam engine in Dundee and
which belonged to an engine which worked with a "smoothness,
steadiness and regularity truly astonishing" (Warden, 1864).
Substantial evidence remains for the position of gearing
carried from wall boxes and brackets attached to columns.
In circa 1890 engine houses (b) and (d) acquired rope alleys.
The clock mechanism and the bell are now missing.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.