Gilroy Brothers' Engineering Department, 1851, 1863-5,
3- and 4-storey and attic 58-bay jute mill in 2 adjoining
pedimented blocks, coursed rubble with ashlar quoins and
dressings. Slate roofs.
S block by Joseph Lindsay (later of Urquhart, Lindsay and
Co) 1865; 3-storey and attic 23-bay mill. Advanced quoined
5-bay central section with channelled ashlar ground floor,
large segmental arched cart entrance with original ornate
wooden gates, bold voussoirs and keystone, and 2
roundheaded openings to each side. Band course. 1st floor
windows in margins with aprons and consoled pediments,
2 segmental 2nd floor windows in architraves with arched
shell heads. Large pediment with dentil cornice, carved
foliated tympanum, shield dated 1865 with cyphers of R,
G and A Gilroy and apex acroterion. 10-bay S wing with 2
advanced bays at end. Main cornice.
S elevation 3-bay gable end with large ground floor arched
door, now a window, 2 oculi and window in gable head over
cornice continuing from main elevation. Apex ball finial.
3-storey and attic. 7-bay extension along Guthrie Street
built between 1865 and 1871. W gable blank except doors
to the now demolished Arch Mill.
Section N of pediment, an 1865 rebuild of 1830s mill.
3-storey and attic, 8 bays including engine house at N
with consoled pediment over blocked window. 1st floor large
in architrave, formerly with round arched head.
N block 4-storey and attic 35-bay mill with 5-storey,
7-bay central section.
(a) South Mill, 1851, 14 bays including 2 advanced quoined
bays at each end. Cast-iron spandrels at ground floor of W
elevation formerly carried roof linking main block to
West Mill (25 Brown Street). Main cornice continued on S
gable cut by 1865 mill roof; attic sash and case window
and 2 oculi. Ball finial.
(b) 1863-4 5-storey, 7-bay "Centre Mill", with original
wooden framed segmental-headed windows. 2 1st floor hoist
doors. Main cornice. 4th floor windows divided by pilasters,
cornice above. Small pediment with Dundee arms. Square
plinth formerly, statue of Minerva. Acroteria and urns.
(c) North Mill, 1863-4, similar to 1851 South Mill. 3-bay
N gable elevation with ground floor adjoining Dudhope
Works. 2 oculi and window in gable head. Apex ball finial.
W elevation similar to E elevation, except that S block
lacks a pediment. Main engine house has tall round-headed
1st floor window over blocked consoled pedimented window
at ground floor. N block has simple oculus in pediment
with acroteria and urns. Ground floor of North Mill had
access to weaving sheds via large openings under cast-iron
lintels. 3 wooden boxes project at 2nd and 3rd floors for
hoists. All windows are original sash and case, multi-paned
in the main mill blocks and 4-paned in central sections,
except 2nd floor of S block which has later 2-paned sash
and case windows. 2 bipartite for offices. Occasional hoist
doors. Interior: each floor has 2 rooms of tall cast-iron
columns with flanged capitals carrying cast-iron beams
and brick arches with wrought-iron ties. Various internal
stairs, hoists, gearing rooms with wall-boxes, main engine
house has wooden floors, stairs and cast-iron features.
Attics have fine single-span wrought-iron tie roofs except
central section of N block which has perpendicular gothic
cast-iron trusses on 2 rows of clustered columns.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.