Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BAXTER PARK PAVILION, STEPS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB24992

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/07/1963
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 41523 31521
Coordinates
341523, 731521

Description

G H Stokes 1859-63, layout Sir Joseph Paxton. Italian Renaissance pavilion.

S ELEVATION: 5-bay open loggia with consoled keyblocked arches resting on clusters of 4 Roman Doric columns, coupled in dead elevation; extends as Venetian features into square corner pavilions which have coupled Ionic pilasters at angles and plain blind arches on E and W fronts glazing now boarded over. Balustraded parapets, end pavilions rise higher with conical finials on sculptured plinths.

Arcaded back wall and lower outshots in re-entrant agnles. Central niche in loggia.

Steps on axis, dies bearing cast-iron urns top and bottom. Balustrade missing. Low coped boundary walls to park, railings missing except at Wortley Place. Square ashlar gatepiers to Arbroath Road. Cast iron over-arch. Gates missing.

Statement of Special Interest

Niche contained marble statue of Sir David Baxter by Sir John Steel, 1863, now in McManus Galleries. Sir David Baxter bart of Kilmaron (of Baxter Brothers, Dens Works) and his two sisters presented the 37 acre Baxter park to the city, the cost said to be about $50,000. It opened on 9 September 1863.

References

Bibliography

Illustrated London News September 9, 1863. George F Chadwick The Works o of Sir Joseph Paxton (1961) p66.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BAXTER PARK PAVILION, STEPS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/07/2019 09:54