Coe and Goodwin 1853-5, details repaired by Alexander Johnston from 1869 following disintegration of original Caen stone dressings. Out Patients Department and Urology Theatre added to W by James Findlay 1910-11. Large 3-storey corridor hospital in commanding position. collegiate Tudor Gothic U-plan with set-back wings.
S ELEVATION: 33-bay, advanced 5-bay centre with octagonal angle turrets. 1st floor entrance approached by steps with gothic traceried balusters. Depressed arched door with timber traceried glazing. Ornately carved spandrels between arch and hoodmould. Flanking pinnacled buttresses. 4-light cusped mezzanine window. 2nd floor canted boardroom oriel with 6-light cusped and transomed window, gargoyles and castellated parapet. 3-light window over. Single lights to sides, cross windows at ground, cusped transomes at 1st and 2nd. Similar windows to each face of angle turrets. 5th floor blind, with armorials and gargoyles. Castellated parapets, centre stepped up around armorial panel. Octagonal cupola with ogee copper-clad roof and weather vane. 2-bay returns with projecting wallhead stacks, tops missing.
Flanking 3-storey Ward blocks with single 4-storey triple-light bays beside centre piece. 12 bays to sides, gabled centre and end bays advanced, the former tripartite with gable armorial, the latter with canted bay through 3 floors and single hoodmoulded attic light, castellated parapet. All windows mullioned and transomed. Flat-roofed extensions added to ground floor of W block 1963, smaller extension to E.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: similar treatment of advanced gabled end and centre bays flanking castellated 5-bay (4 cross windows and 1 single light) sections. Some 3 and 4-light ground floor windows. 4-storey octagonal entrance towers with triple-light mezzanine over door. Single transomed lights to each face. 4th floor hoodmoulds and castellated parapet.
OUT PATIENTS DEPARTMENT: added to W in similar style by James Findlay 1910-11, single-storey with 2 canted hoodmoulded bays, 3 4-light mullioned and transomed windows. Entrance with triple-light mezzanine. Castellated parapet stepped down from main block. W elevation has 2 3-light transomed windows and small mullioned windows with castellated parapet over. N elevation low, in rise of ground. Square gatepier at angle, damaged.
UROLOGY THEATRE: James Findlay 1910-11, 1-storey added to N gable of W wing, 1-storey with bowed 3-bay N elevation, glazing altered, and lower 1-storey and basement projection with single transomed triple light. Castellated parapets.
REAR: plain 2-storey and basement elevations to yards with original toilet and angled stair towers. Centre 3 and 4-storey kitchen and dining room blocks extended in 3 phases. From S: original 2-storey kitchen with 2 modern floors over, rendered brick. Centre 2-bay gabled Victorian block. N 4-bay piend-roofed block added circa 1910. W court contains small free-standing octagonal laboratory with porch, swept slate roof with louvred lunettes in alternate faces. Louvred lantern ventilator. Whiter glazed brick interior. Telephone exchange beyond, rebuilt 1963.
Roofs slate, except 1910 buildings flat concrete roofs with pitched skylights. Tall square ashlar stacks; some taken down. Windows mainly 3-pane with horizontal glazing bars and top-hoppers above transoms.
INTERIOR: single-corridor plan serving wards to outer S, E and W faces. Ground floor portholes and later Tudor-arched openings to kitchen block. Main entrance through timber gothic traceried doors. Later mosaics in towered side entrances. Boardroom has 2 fine black marble chimneypieces with portrait overmantles. Timber panelled dado and shuttering. Modest stained glass to oriel.