Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

VICTORIA DOCK WITH PEDESTRIAN AND VEHICULAR SWING BRIDGESLB24971

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
02/02/1989
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40958 30366
Coordinates
340958, 730366

Description

Begun 1833 by James Leslie to Thomas Telford's projections. Completed 1869-75 by David Cunningham, with Charles Ower 'consulted on all questions of importance'. Nearly rectangular wet dock of 10.7 acres with a quayage of 3,860 feet, depth 16 feet, entrance width 54 feet. Kingoodie ashlar.

W wall compleed 1833-6, S wall formed 1837, altered at E end 1869-75 for graving dock. N and W walls later, and with slightly larger ashlar blocks. Capstans and other dockside furniture.

SWING BRIDGES: at entrance between Camperdown and Victoria Docks.

PEDESTRIAN: segmental arched 2-leaf plate iron swing bridge. Each leaf pierced by 9 portholes, diminishing in size towards the centre. Arms of the Dundee Harbour Board at fulcrum point. Tubular iron handrail, timber deck. Counter weight with sockets for levering the bridge.

VEHICULAR: level single-leaf wrought-iron bridge, probably hydraulically operated. Tubular iron handrail; flat timber deck.

Statement of Special Interest

After James Watt Dock, Greenock, and Leith Docks, Edinburgh, now the largest enclosed dock in Scotland. It remained unfinished during the town's depression and bankruptcy. By 1848 an eastern tidal harbour had been built and rough protection walls placed around Victoria Dock, which was then a shallow basin. In 1869 an Act was passed to construct a tidal basin and entrance to Camperdown Dock, construct a graving dock betweeen Camperdown and Victoria Docks, and deepen and complete Victoria Dock. The dock opened on 16 August 1875. Still used, primarily for ship repairs and laying-up, official visits, and for historic ships.

The 90-ton steam crane was scrapped in 1976. Its base is still identifiable on the S side of the dock.

The swing bridges are discussed and fixed in the open position.

References

Bibliography

J Hannay Thompson and George G Ritchie DUNDEE HARBOUR TRUST CENTENARY 1830-1930 (1830)

PORT OF DUNDEE official handbook

Brian Bracegirlde THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION (1973) Hume (1877) p 132

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to VICTORIA DOCK WITH PEDESTRIAN AND VEHICULAR SWING BRIDGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 21:49