Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

20 BROWN STREET, AND RETURN ELEVATIONS TO 8 GUTHRIE STREET, AND SESSION STREET, SOUTH MILLSLB24965

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
18/05/1987
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 39720 30255
Coordinates
339720, 730255

Description

2 Flax mills:

(a) Old Mill: circa 1825, with some alterations in

1860s, W elevation to Session St and E elevation to

yard. 2-storey 14-bay rubble-built mill. Party wall

with skewputts and flat-topped finial divides 5 N-

bays, for hackling, from spinning section. Small square

ground floor windows in margins, some blocked or

boarded, 2 altered to doors, and some with original

glazing. Large cast-iron tie-plate. 1st floor larger

windows with altered glazing. N gable has skewputts and

flat-topped finial. E elevation large windows with

aprons at ground floor, some retaining original multi-

paned sash and case windows, others blocked. Some doors

inserted in 1860s and later. Interior: ground floor

a single row of cast-iron columns carrying a wooden

beam. 1st floor, hackling section, 4 timber pillars;

spinning section, iron columns, a cast-iron spiral stair

and a chute from the attic of the New Mill

(b) New Mill, Brown St, begun between 1851 and 1857,

extended in 1864 and 1874-5 3-storey, basement and

attic, 33-by 3-bay rubble built mill. 3-bay advanced

sections pedimented with acroteria, segmental-headed

windows and cornice over 1st floor. 1864 pediment

section has large timber mullioned and transomed engine

house window at 1st floor and large entrance inserted

circa 1930 in place of steam engine. Door at left

leads to original multi-paned wooden framed window

for view of engine, altered to a lodge. N pediment dated

1875, similar but without door or larger window.

Top cornice and N and S gables 3-bay with 3 oculi

and segmental headed window over cornice. Ball finials

missing. Mansard slate roof with 2 party walls behind

pediments.

W elevation similar; 1864 ground floor preparing shed

with ornate cast-iron roof attached to central section.

2 pediments, 1 behind circa 1930 brick lift shaft. All

windows are original wooden-framed top-hoppers.

Interior: basement sub-divided as flax store, and part

a pond Mill fully iron-framed with 2 rows of cast-iron

columns, bracketed for shafting, brick arched ceilings

and stone flagged floors. Engine house has fine internal

arched mullioned and transomed window and wooden

panelled ceiling. New floor. Gearing room in bay to S

retains wallboxes etc for verticial shaft. Cast-iron

gothic attic pendant bosses on 2 rows of clustered

columns. 2 stone stairs.

Statement of Special Interest

List excludes brick building and chimney at S, and

modern steel roof linking old and new mills.

Owned by J and W Brown, Brown and Miller, O G Miller

(also of South and East Mills), A J Brough, Cunningham

and Co, South Mills (Flax) Ltd, and has always spun flax

rather than jute. The Old Mill is now the second oldest

in Dundee, with alterations. The New Mill is now the

3rd longest multi-storey mill in Dundee and has a very

fine roof of unique design.

References

Bibliography

NMRS AND 513 (1874)

Warden (1864) p 627 DU MS 17/P34 (1837 J and W Brown's

Title Deeds and Plan)

Hume (1977) p 131.

Old Mill shown on 1839 map of St David's Parish.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 20 BROWN STREET, AND RETURN ELEVATIONS TO 8 GUTHRIE STREET, AND SESSION STREET, SOUTH MILLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 13:33