Probably Umpherston and Kerr, 1828, extended to W 1833, N range and then W wing and tower added by 1839. Large flaxmill around U-plan Court, rubble.
(a) S range, Brook St, 4 storey and attic 21-bay mill between 2 engine houses. 3-storey with segmental arched tripartite windows with anta pilaster mullions, canted 5-bay section at E for ground floor boilers with upper floor added between 1833 and 1839. All windows are 3 paned top hoppers, except some blocked at ground floor, tripartites and W section which are sash and case. Eaves band course, steeply pitched slate roof, piended at E and gabled at W with long skylights. Party wall and base of bellcote separates 5 W bays.
E elevation asymmetrical 4-bay with 1st floor hoist door and corniced parapet. W elevation gabled with 7-storey stair tower to N. Single windows at level of engine house.
3 windows at 3rd floor and attic levels and small sash and case window in gable. Tower built in stages: 1828 stairs lit by 3 sash and case windows, 1830s recessed toilet block with arched pend to yard links mill to W range, 1830s. Top 3 storeys are 2-by 3-bay with broad-eaved Italianate roof.
N elevation 26 bays. 4-bay E section is arcaded at ground floor for boilers. Tripartite windows to W. Engine House blocked at 1st floor with stair, partially removed, for access to 1st floor of E section (engine prevented access within mill). 2nd floor corbelled balcony with wrought-iron rail similarly allows access beyond engine house to E section, also linked by a wrought-iron foot-bridge to the N range. Main mill, 21 bays, similar to S elevation with ground floor windows blocked and some later openings.
(b) N range of yard for storing, sorting preparing and hackling, circa 1833-1836. S elevation 3-storey and attic 18-bay, several doors at ground floor; 1st and 2nd floor windows mainly multi-paned sash and case but some have doors for hoists, and footbridge to mill. 3 2nd floor windows had their cills altered for hand hackler?s fans. Small blind windows at 3rd floor. Slate roof, less steeply pitched than mill, with skylights. E elevation 3-bay with ground floor door. Blind windows at centre of 1st and 2nd floors and all 3 at 3rd floor. Parapet. Wall, with door to office (roof altered), links N range to large stone corniced gate pier. N elevation 3-storey and attic (ground floor sunk at W due to hill, allowing loading at 2 levels) 19-bay. Ground floor windows altered. 1st floor 4 original loading bays, small blind windows at 3rd floor.
(c) W range, links N range to Mill, built by 1839. 3-storey and attic, with ground floor below street level, 11-bay. 1st floor windows multi-paned sash and case, 2nd floor windows, blocked, 3rd floor blind windows.
ELEVATION TO YARD: 7 bays with wall carried at ground floor on stout iron columns. Glazed 1st and 2nd floor windows, blind 3rd floor windows, small parapet in centre. Slate roof.
Interior entirely iron framed and brick arched except attics.
MILL: 2 rows of iron columns, bolted at ground floor, carrying cast-iron beams, brick arches and wrought-iron ties. Evidence of gearing and mounts for steam engines. Wooden queen-post roofed attic.
N range, narrow, without columns. Brick arches on cast-iron beams which rest on iron supports built into the wall at 2nd floor level. Many iron trapdoors, hoists, chutes etc for sorting flax. Plastered wooden collar-beam roof with wrought-iron ties.
W RANGE: 2 ground floor columns carry a small stone arcade to strengthen the centre; some unusual columns thicken at the base. 1st and 2nd floor: a single row of iron columns carry brick arches with wrought-iron ties. Tall open wooden collar beam roof with wrought-iron ties. 3 stone staircases, 1 cast iron spiral stair, and a modern stair inserted in W range. Cobbled courtyard.