J T Rochead, architect. Built 1853. Large asymmetrical Scottish Baronial mansion house with crowstepped gables, corbelled angle turrets, corbel tables, strings, single and mullioned windows and pedimented dormerheads. Coursed and snecked rubble with polished dressings. 2 storeys, set on slope, with raised basement to east and 3-storey tower with rounded angles and cap house at south east angle imitating tower house, with corbelled parapet, gunports, spouts.
East elevation: set back from east face of tower, latter with corbelled oriel; round-headed and rope-moulded door to right, framed and pedimented crest above; stepped 3-light off-centre stair window; service wing to right is balustraded, small courtyard entered by round-arched pend. South elevation mostly mullioned windows, off-centre projecting gabled bay, canted and asymmetrically corbelled to square above.
Irregularly gabled bays to north and west with off-centre timbered and gabled porch to latter. Coped and margined apex and wall head stacks, some with corbelled or projecting bases; slate roofs.
Interior (original features mostly retained): steps lead from main east door to principal floor, ornate Corinthian-columned chimney-piece decorated with carved heads of historical figures; bronze crest above in elaborate strap work moulding. Elliptical balcony over ground floor hall. Some decorative wood panelling, especially in library which has fitted shelves and chimney piece with pedimented overmantel: embossed frieze and panelled ceiling.
Principal ground floor room has dado panelling and marble chimney piece with bowed front and arcaded wooden overmantel; panelled ceiling; canted north window is leaded, with representations of Slezer views (including Dumbarton). Some decorative ceiling plasterwork also. Some 19th century bathroom fittings retained.
Statement of Special Interest
Built for William Denny.
Now used as library office and store. Only alterations some fire screens and doors. Major extension and internal re-fitting, new stair rail, panelling of entrance hal, dining room, library and adjoining apartment. Burnet Son and Campbel, 1890.
Category changed B to A, 9 September 1993.