Dated 1598, restored circa 1978. Square 3-storey and attic
tower house with stair drum tower at NW corbelled out to
square at upper 2 storeys; corbelled turret at opposite
angle. Harled, ashlar dressings. Further single storey
circular rubble tower at S linked to main building by short
length of former barmkin wall.
Doorway in SW re-entrant angle with dated and inscribed
plaque above. Stairs to 2nd and 3rd floors in additional
turret in re-entrant angle supported at 2nd floor
level by squinch-arch; conical slate roof and finial.
1 large window (probably later enlargement) lights 1st
floor hall in S elevation; remaining windows small,
sometimes diminutive; wallhead gabled dormer at E; mainly
4- or 12-pane glazing now in windows. Slit vents to SE
bartizan, basement and detached tower at S.
End stacks; local slate roof.
Statement of Special Interest
Internal restoration continues, 1985. Commanding site on
hillside overlooking Dulnain valley. Built by Patrick,
second son of John Grant of Freuchie (Castle Grant) and
original seat of Grants of Rothiemurchus. Plaque dated
1598, initialled PG and IG with inscription 'In God is al