Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HIGH STREET ST AUGUSTINE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCHLB24890

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
08/09/1980
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Burgh
Dumbarton
NGR
NS 39690 75254
Coordinates
239690, 675254

Description

Robert Rowand Anderson of Edinburgh, architect. Dated 1873 on

parsonage. 8-bay, aisled, Gothic church. Principal gabled elevation to High

Street: polished ashlar (remainder stugged with polished

dressings): central recessed door with splayed reveals, under

moulded pointed arch, large hood-moulded and

geometrical-traceried window above, with circular panels in

spandrels and hood-moulded vesica in gable-head; angle

buttresses, saw-tooth skews and cross finial. Low square

extension to left with plate-traceried window, similar window

and door in re-entrant angle; geometrical-traceried and

hoodmoulded aisle window to right. Clerestory windows have

pointed heads, paired over nave. Interior: (planned

decoration gradually completed) chancel, nave and north aisle

arcaded, aisle with circular and octagonal columns; chancel

arch on clustered columns. Delicate, elaborately carved,

cusped and traceried chancel screen with central gable; altar

rails have carved angels on gate posts. Altar and reredos

dedicated 1893; war memorial by R M MacNaught of Denny &

Blain, circa 1923. Some leaded glass windows; in eastern

aisle, window by W Gibbs (in poor repair) at northern end,

window by Stephen Adam, 1897 in western aisle at south end.

Timbered roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Listed category A for quality of interior.

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Former parsonage and hall by A C Denny, architect (Dumbarton), 1907, demolished in 1993.

References

Bibliography

ST AUGUSTINE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, DUMBARTON, 1873-1923.

(Jubilee pamphlet, 1923).

RSA CATALOGUE, 1872. (Exhibited as St Luke's).

DUMBARTON HERALD 25.4.1872. (Copy in Dumbarton Library).

Dean of Guild Drawings (of Hall) in Dumbarton Library.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET ST AUGUSTINE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 14:23