Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
NS 39782 75290
239782, 675290


Melvin & Leiper of Glasgow, architects. Foundation Stone

laid 23.6.1865. Damaged by fire 11.12.1882, and restored

1883, William Leiper, architect. Large, symmetrically planned

French Gothic former academy; 2 storeys and attic, with

square, central, 4-stage tower. Snecked ashlar with polished

dressings. Most openings hoodmoulded (some with cusped heads)

under pointed-arched mouldings; windows flanking tower mostly

have columned jambs and mullions, with foliated capitals.

Tower supported on square piers with arched openings between,

and main door recessed. 2nd stage of tower has window with

columns and gabled canopy to front elevation, simple single

lights to flanks; 3rd stage rises above eaves level, with

tall slender paired lancets to each face. Corbelled,

octagonal angle turrets at top stage, each with slender

shafts and pinnacles; simple rose window recessed in pointed

and gabled panel to each face between. Tower is flanked by

arcaded 5-light windows at ground floor, with single window

to outer bays; 3 plate-traceried windows at 1st floor with

single narrow light to outer bay; 3 gabled and barge-boarded

dormers with 8-pane upper sashes. Additional gabled doorway

at extreme left, corresponding gabled pend to right.

Continuous strings at cill and at impost level of each floor,

eaves course and bracketed main cornice (these all continued

across tower). Slate roof. East (rear) elevation: scars at

ground level of formerly adjoining burgh hall (now

demolished); 2 stair towers, each with pointed and facetted

roof, that to left taller, and reaching into attic. Narrow,

mullioned and transomed windows; rectangular roof lights and ventilators.

Simple interior.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally, Thomas Gildard of Glasgow, architect, provided

plans for the academy, described as "Greco Italian ...

exceedingly chaste and elegant", but White of Overtoun

commissioned Melvin & Leiper to provide plans, and their

design was adopted.

(See Dumbarton Herald 18.2.1864 and 27.9.1867.)

The 1883 restoration excluded the tower steeple, and roof

pavilions (see illus in Dumbarton ancient and modern)

Up-graded category B to A 7 August,1995.







Various references in Dumbarton Herald (copies in Dumbarton


About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHURCH STREET, SSEB EDUCATION OFFICES (FORMER ACADEMY)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 15:46