Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CASTLE STREET, SHIP MODEL EXPERIMENT TANK (BRITISH SHIPBUILDERS - FORMERLY VICKERS LTD)LB24873

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
21/10/1976
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Burgh
Dumbarton
NGR
NS 40037 75207
Coordinates
240037, 675207

Description

1882-3. E R Mumford, Superintendent of the works (Mumford,

together with William Froude, naval architect (d. 1879), had

previously established a tank at Torquay). Professor J

McQuorn Rankine, engineer. Narrow ashlar frontage, wide

segmental-arched doorway to right, window in corresponding

panel to left; plain pilasters, cornice, parapet swept up in

centre containing carved panel of William Froude.

Long narrow workshop containing testing-tank runs to south.

Walls mostly brick with buttresses and round brace-plates,

earth embankments.

Slate roof with skylights and wooden sarking not original.

Original triangular steel trusses inside. Long narrow

brick-lined tank, faced with cement plaster, runs the full

length of shed. Double teak walkways supported by girders in

side walls and with double tracks for sliding platforms.

Brick extension at south end dates from 1920s and contains a

wavemaker. Modern 3-storey office extension on east side not

included in listing.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Denny's of Dumbarton. Panel on street frontage is

inscribed "Leven Ship Yard Experimental Tank"

The first privately owned experimental tank built in the

world, and said to now be the oldest still in existence.

Modified following a fire in 1924, when deep section was

extended by 50 feet, and walkway suspension was improved.

Dean of Guild plans of alterations passed 4.6.1903.

References

Bibliography

Information per the late Mr Tom Glen, formerly of Vickers Ltd

and of British Shipbuilders. Experiment Book No. 1 dates the

first experiment to 21 February 1883.

DENNY'S OF DUMBARTON, SOUVENIR, 1908 pp 65-75 (inc. illus)

DENNY, DUMBARTON, 1932, pp 65-70 (inc illus), (revised

version of above).

Donald MacLeod, DUMBARTON, VALE OF LEVEN & LOCH LOMOND, n.d.

pp 55-7.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CASTLE STREET, SHIP MODEL EXPERIMENT TANK (BRITISH SHIPBUILDERS - FORMERLY VICKERS LTD)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 07:40