Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

12 MELVILLE ROAD, LINSANDEL HOUSE, WITH OUTBUILDINGS, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERSLB24443

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
30/06/1983
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Burgh
Dalkeith
NGR
NT 32463 66773
Coordinates
332463, 666773

Description

Knox and Hutton, dated 1884. 2-storey asymmetrical Italianate villa with Greek details, L-plan with 3-stage entrance tower in SW re-entrant angle. W and S elevations stugged squared and coursed masonry, N and E elevations stugged squared and snecked; polished ashlar dressings. Base course. Moulded timber eaves course. Cill courses to ground and 1st floors. Band course between floors, continuous around tower. Broad course below lintel level at eaves. Red column-mullions to bipartite windows at 1st floor to S and W. Moulded lintels. Tall narrow windows at ground. Elaborate segmental-arched bargeboarding to gables and dormerheads.

S (MELVILLE ROAD) ELEVATION: 2-bay. Bay to right advanced: tripartite pilaster-mullioned window in rectangular projection with windows on return at ground, cornice and blocking course; corniced bowed bipartite window set in chamfered opening at 1st floor, pilaster flanked, with anthemion motif at centre of blocking course and broad dormerhead. 2 windows at ground in bay to left; dormerheaded bipartite window with bracketted moulded cill at 1st floor.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay; gabled outer bays, bay to left advanced, with 3-stage tower in re-enterant angle.

TOWER: corniced doorpiece to S return, surmounted by small pediment with acroteria; moulded architrave and panelled ashlar fanlight detail; 2-leaf door with circular upper panels; balustrade to left with red balusters and cast-iron lamp standard cradling ball lantern. Small narrow window to 1st floor to S, and 2 to W. Window at ground to W. Mullioned and transomed window to each face at 3rd stage. Angle pilasters rising through band courses to 1st and 2nd floors, dividing into 2 at 3rd stage. Dentil and moulded panel details below 2nd floor windows; festooned decoration in frieze above. Broad eaves cornice and corncer brackets; pyramidal roof and weathervane.

Quinquelateral canted window at ground in bay to left, bipartite to principal face, with cornice and blocking cours; corniced bipartite window at 1st floor, with anthemion detail above. Window to right at ground in recessed bay to right; shaped panel at centre at 1st floor, with corniced cill and lintel surmounted by anthemion motif, containing patera and dated "1884". S return blank.

E ELEVATION: base course and band course between floors. Window to left at 1st floor, with cill course continuous from S elevation. Asymmetrically disposed windows. Service wing to right; boarded door, and 2 windows at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: mullioned and transomed stair window at centre. Window to right of centre at 1st floor. Timber apex detail to gabled bay to left, with lower 2-storey piended service wing adjoined: 2 windows at ground, window at 1st floor, and window at 1st floor on return. Single storey half-piended range adjoined at centre: modern window, hatch at centre and boarded door to right; window and door on right return, modern lean-to porch adjoined.

Plate glass glazing pattern in sash and case windows, coloured border glazing pattern in upper panes of 2nd floor tower windows and in stair window, and in upper sashes of 1st floor windows. Rendered and lined stacks; gablehead to right to W and to left to N, wallhead to right to N. Finial blocks to dormerheads and gableheads. Grey-green slates; red ridge tiles. Some original cans. Original rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: encaustic tiled vestibule at base of tower. Wooden balustrade to half-turn staircase. Fine plasterwork in rooms. Elaborate mahogany chimneypiece and overmantel mirror in dining room; decorative timber chimneypiece in hall incorporating barometer and mirror in overmantel.

OUTBUILDINGS: row of outbuildings to E. Painted brick cottage, gabled to W, piended to E, adjoined to boundary wall to N.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: ashlar coped rubble boundary walls. Ashlar gatepiers inscribed "Linsandel House" (later inscription) on repsective piers; moulded, fluted and carved scrolled detailing; corniced and pyramidal capped, with acroteria. Wrought-iron gates with decorative band. Square pyramidal-capped piers to N.

Statement of Special Interest

This building is called Netherby on the OS Map 1892-93. The house is constructed of Gunnerton stone; red Dumfries-shire stone was used for the mullions and baluster detailing.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1892-93. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1980) p163.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 12 MELVILLE ROAD, LINSANDEL HOUSE, WITH OUTBUILDINGS, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 10:40