Mid 17th century in origin; re-worked, probably in 18th century. 2-storey, 7-bay (3-1-3) simple classical Tolbooth. Ashlar; E and S elevations harled. Rusticated quoins. Heavily repaired in parts with cement render; some concrete cill repairs. Base course. Moulded cornice to W and S elevations, with remains on E elevation.
W ELEVATION: doorpiece at centre, with bolection moulded surround and pediment containing cartouche with Scott coat-of-arms; 2-leaf penelled door. Moulded panel above at 1st floor inscribed "EFB CMLB 1648" with 2 coronets. Regularly disposed fenestration in remaining bays; taller windows at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: single-storey lean-to porch addition at centre; door to left return, 2 windows to E; adjoined to SW corner of free-standing former stable range of No 182 High Street, Cross Keys Hotel, (see separate listing). 2 windows at ground floor to left. Stair window to left of centre.
S ELEVATION: window at ground floor to left of centre.
N ELEVATION: adjoined to No 182 High Street, Cross Keys Hotel.
12 and 16-pane glazing patterns in sash and case windows; top-hopper at ground to E. All windows barred. Grey slates to piended roof. No stacks.
INTERIOR: 3 windowed former weigh-room down several steps to left. Cloakroom, with window to S, at rear; hatch in floor to former pit prison; circa 6ft square with rubble walls and earth floor. Straight stair to right from street; quarter-turned to right to 2-windowed room (former upper prison), dog-legged to left with 1-windowed kitchen ahead to left and door to right to 3-windowed former court-room, with plain cornice and coffered ceiling (except for S wall).
Statement of Special Interest
De-scheduled 12.2.2001. B Group with Nos 168-172, and 182 High Street. The panel inscription refers to Francis, 2nd Earl of Buccleuch and his wife, Margaret (Leslie), Countess of Buccleuch. The Tolbooth ceased use as a jail in 1841. The Tolbooth was used as a meeting place by Dalkeith Scientific Association and the Baptist Church. The Tolbooth was given to St Mary's Episcopal Chapel and endowed by Miss V I Kemp in March 1966 (from plaque in former court-room); the building was entirely refurbished by Armstrong and Thomas, Kirkcaldy, in January 1966 as a church hall, for which it is still used. Gibbet stones can be seen on the street in front of the door; the second last public hanging in Scotland apparently occurred here in 1827.