Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BY DULNAIN BRIDGE, GARTH OF FINLARIGLB244

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
18/08/1986
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Duthil And Rothiemurchus
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NH 99124 25691
Coordinates
299124, 825691

Description

Rowand Anderson, Paul and Partners, with Basil Spence, William Kininmonth and Hamish Burden, 1936-8. 2-storey (single storey dormered single bay to far left), 5-bay, rectangular plan, Arts and Crafts interwar house set on high ground with wooded backdrop facing out to open highland countryside. White painted cement render; rusticated granite detailing; deep basecourse of granite random rubble. Prominent gable off-centre left with round arched recessed doorway immediately to right; flat-roofed circular 2-storey bay at far right corner; corbelled out bay to far left. Catslide dormers flanking gabled bay. Gabled rear elevation with irregular fenestration; boarded timber rear entrance door at rear return to left.

Large square and rectangular multipaned metal casement windows; oak plank door; pitched roofs with swept profile; Ballachulish slates; coped rendered chimneystacks, clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR (seen 2013): interwar design scheme largely intact, with bespoke timber fixtures and fittings including rear main stair canted doorways and architraves, plank panelled doors with highly figured timber and bespoke brass handles. Small plain classical timber chimneypieces to drawing and dining rooms. Kitchen and service entrance to left rear of plan, altered in circa 1970s.

Statement of Special Interest

Garth of Finlarig is an important little altered interwar house, and is one of a small group of outstanding modern domestic designs characteristic of work of Kininmonth and Spence during the 1930s that adapted the Arts and Crafts and Scottish vernacular architectural detailing to create unique modern compositions, from small cottages to large country house commissions.

The white rendered exterior and large multi-paned windows inject a modernist language to a mixture of finely detailed traditionalist features such as catslide dormers, corbelled out section of the principal elevation and rusticated stone detailing. The interior, although altered to the kitchen/dining area and to the rear of the plan to accommodate an additional stair to the upper floor, remains largely intact with bespoke period fixtures and fittings which demonstrate a crafts based aesthetic and are characteristic of the architects' fittings in other domestic commissions.

Basil Spence and William Kininmonth began working together in 1931 producing a number of striking houses for private clients in Edinburgh during the first half of the 1930s, including Lismhor and Easter Belmont (see separate listings). They both joined Arthur Balfour Paul in 1934 to form Rowand Anderson, Paul and Partners - they were also known to work separately as well. Balfour Paul had been a successful country house architect and previously secured the commission for the neighbouring Wester Finlarig House in 1927 which is possibly how the smaller house for 'Mr Agnew' was commissioned from Kininmonth and Spence. Campbell, et. al note that Hamish Burden also contributed to the 'Agnew House' as it was first known.

On 1 February 1939 a statement of total cost was submitted to the client and the fees paid soon afterwards. On 11 December 1945 Kininmonth and Burden inspected the house regarding a proposed upstairs extension. Spence had left the Rowand Anderson, Paul and Partners by 1946 (See RCAHMS).

List description updated (2013).

References

Bibliography

Basil Spence Project archives (RCAHMS). L Campbell, M Glendinning, J Thomas, Basil Spence Buildings and Project (2012) p288. Dictionary of Scottish Architects (2013).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BY DULNAIN BRIDGE, GARTH OF FINLARIG

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/01/2022 14:26