Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CULROSS, THE CROSS, MERCAT CROSSLB24000

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/01/1972
Supplementary Information Updated
17/05/2016
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98683 85948
Coordinates
298683, 685948

Description

16th century base. Replacement shaft and head, J W Small, designer and Alexander Neilson, sculptor, 1902. Stone. Original octagonal base, tiered steps. Chamfered shaft; moulded base, chamfered plinth. Moulded, decorative capital with dentils, acanthus leaf and fluted details. Cubical head; decoration to each face. Moulded base; column shafts at each quoin. Faces carved with inscriptions. NE face; Culross Burgh arms with date of creation of the royal burgh (1588) in pediment tympanum. SE face; the provost's initials and inscription; 'Restored by the Honourable Sir James Sivewright of Tulliallan 1 July 1902 and John Cunningham of Balgownie Provost'. SW face; monogram of King James VI with crown; '1902' in pediment tympanum. NW face; Sir James Sivewright's arms; initials in tympanum. Surmounting unicorn.

Statement of Special Interest

A market cross was a common feature in a burgh; Culross mercat cross is sited in a prominent position in The Cross, a cobbled area which lies at the junction of four roads and beside Back Causeway which follows the line of the original street which ran from the Abbey to the Sandhaven. This cross replaced a plain stone megalith with a small surmounting cross, as depicted in James Drummond s sketch of the market cross made in 1849 (NMRS archive). The restoration of the cross was financed by Sir James Sivewright to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII. The architect J W Small prepared the drawings and Alexander Neilson, a sculptor from Dundee executed the work under the supervision of William Gauldie, an architect from Dundee. The unicorn holds the Garter of the Thistle (Cunningham). For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

Formerly Scheduled Ancient Monument No 4288, scheduled 15/12/1953 and descheduled 13/05/2016.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Map (Perthshire), CXLII.4, 1860; A Hallen, SECULAR & ECCLESIASTICAL ANTIQUITIES OF CULROSS in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Vol 12, 1877, p245; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol Vol I, 1885, p117, Vol II, 1885, p309; PHOTOGRAPHIC ALBUM OF CULROSS AND VICINITY, circa 1900; J Small, SCOTTISH MARKET CROSSES, 1900, p151; A Cunningham, ROMANTIC CULROSS, TORRYBURN, CARNOCK, CAIRNEYHILL, SALINE AND PITFIRRANE, 1902, p131; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR FIFE, KINROSS & CLACKMANNAN, 1933, p84; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp402-413; B Walker, G Ritchie, FIFE AND TAYSIDE, 1987, pp59-60; J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, 1988, pp49, 151-2; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, pp50-52; C Mair, MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTHS, 1988, p31; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 1990, p28; The National Trust for Scotland, CULROSS, 1999, p19; National Monuments Record of Scotland (NMRS).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, THE CROSS, MERCAT CROSS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 08:01