Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CULROSS, SANDHAVEN, CULROSS TOWN HOUSELB23994

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/01/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98572 85916
Coordinates
298572, 685916

Description

1626; 1783 off-centre clock tower; refurbished Ian G Lindsay and Partners, 1957-1959. 2-storey with attic, 5-bay town-house. Ashlar sandstone; rusticated quoins; round-headed and keyblocked openings in tower. Central double forestair. Eaves course to principal elevation. Exposed sandstone ashlar; harled to rear.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door at 1st bay; window to right flank. Inscription above left door 'Anno Domini 1626'. Door at far right; window to left flank. Double forestair to near centre; renewed stone steps. Blocked oculus in forestair; plaque above to commemorate John Alistair Erskine Cunninghame of Balgownie, Provost of Culross. Central 1st floor door; fanlight. Lamp above door; Culross Arms in glass, crown above. 2 windows to each flank. Roll-moulded surrounds to 1st floor openings. Small attic window to 2nd and 4th bay under eaves. Clock tower; band course at stages; round-headed window at 1st stage; clock at 2nd stage in circular recess; round-headed louvred opening at 3rd stage belfry to each face. Blocked stonework to louvres and window. Fluted frieze; prominent cornice.

NW ELEVATION: attached to Sandhaven, The Tron House. Plain gable elevation visible above The Tron House. Corniced chimney and bellcote to gable apex (bell missing).

NE ELEVATION: 2 ground floor windows to left. Small central stair window. 3 corbels project at 1st floor level. Rubble wall to right extends to The Tron House obscuring part of Town-House.

SE ELEVATION: plain elevation.

Replacement 24-pane timber sash and case 1st floor windows; 9-pane timber windows to ground floor. 2 roof lights to rear. Timber boarded doors. Steeply pitched roof, graded slate. Crowstepped NW gable. Corniced stack to SE. Slated ogee tower roof; weathervane surmounted by bird finial.

INTERIOR: ground floor houses shop and exhibition. Studded timber door to small stone-lined cell to N; flagstone floor. Studded timber door leads from shop to exhibition space; arched doorways. 1st floor interior; arched doorway to entrance; painted 1st floor hall timber ceiling (originally from W room). Bell pull in ceiling. Inscribed stone (former pediment) depicting Culross Abbey and inscribed SIGILLUM BURGI DE CULROSS ('Seal of the burgh of Culross') set into left wall. Newel stair opposite leads to attic; roll-moulded surround to blocked door to right. Lamp/candle niche set into blocked door; corbelled staircase visible above. Door to right leads into debtor's room. Painted timber ceiling; geometric design and putti heads. Fireplace in gable wall; stone panel to right of fireplace, carved with arms of Sir George Bruce and dated 1628. Timber panel painted with royal arms of Charles I, dated 1637, hangs over fireplace. Carved plaque in opposite wall recording Sir George Preston of Valleyfield's bequest, 1721. Arched doorway leads to council chamber in W room; Georgian panelling; dentil cornice. Fireplace in W gable; dentil cornice to timber mantel; cast-iron firegrate. Arch above windows. Cupboard to N.

Statement of Special Interest

Also known as Culross Tolbooth. Prior to the reclamation of the Sandhaven in the late 19th century, the town-house sat closer to the edge of the Forth. Culross was erected a Burgh of Barony in 1490 and a Royal Burgh in 1588. The town-house was built as a council chamber in 1626 (to replace an earlier one) and remained in use by the town council until 1975 when local government reorganisation made it redundant and it was passed to the National Trust for Scotland. The town-house continues to be used as a meeting house and is also open to the public. Town-houses, a typical building type found in burghs, performed many functions. They were the centre of local administration and justice and it was here that the town council would meet, records were kept and taxes and customs collected. They were also often used as courtrooms and prisons for criminals, debtors and witches and were therefore built with thick walls and sturdy doors (as at Culross). The standard measures and weights of the burgh were usually kept in the town-house, as they still are today in Culross. The Culross Town-house follows a pattern used for many other town-houses; prison and cells are found on the ground floor, the council chamber and court room on the principal 1st floor and further cells on the upper floor. By the early 17th century it was considered an obligation of every burgh to have a clock to call meetings and public events and to mark rising time and curfews (RCAHMS). The Culross clock mechanism was made by Laurence Dalgleish, 1783. At this time, the double forestair, clock tower and probably the council chamber panelling were added. The building was renovated by Ian G Lindsay and Partners in 1957-1959.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Perthshire Map, CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol I, 1885, p124, Vol II, 1885, pp304-305; MacGibbon & Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, Vol V, 1892, pp118-119; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR FIFE, KINROSS & CLACKMANNAN, 1933, pp81-83; J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, 1988, p151; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 1990, p27; The National Trust for Scotland, THE ROYAL BURGH OF CULROSS MANAGEMENT PLAN 1995-2000, 1995; RCAHMS, TOLBOOTHS AND TOWN-HOUSES, 1996; pp1-23, 65-67; The National Trust for Scotland, CULROSS Guidebook, 1999, p17.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, SANDHAVEN, CULROSS TOWN HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 06:59