Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CROMARTY, HIGH STREET TOWNLANDS BARNLB23695

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
30/12/1980
Supplementary Information Updated
13/02/2004
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Cromarty
NGR
NH 78739 67457
Coordinates
278739, 867457

Description

Circa 1694/5, long rectangular barn (former house) with steeply pitched roof, crowsteps gable and original skewputts. Red sandstone rubble. Central entrance on south elevation with worn armorial tablet over the yellow stone surround with faint leaf decoration. Simple chamfered doorway opposite in centre north elevation, and additional door at north-west. Inserted floor with entrance slapped west gable. 2 paired quatrefoil vents in east and west gables. 5 square vents immediately below eaves South elevation, paired in outer bays with centre vent over entrance. Corrugated iron roof; later additions and lean-to cart shed.

Statement of Special Interest

List description updated and category altered from B to A in 2004 following research undertaken by Robert Gordon University and Mary Washington College, Virginia, USA in 1997. Townlands Barn is situated in an area once known as Sandilands which belonged to the Clunes family. It is thought to be the earliest surviving house in Cromarty, and may have been built for Bernard Mackenzie and Jean Clunes in 1694/95 or it may have been an earlier house which Mackenzie bought from the Clunes. Bernard Mackenzie was the parish minister from 1674?1690 (Cromarty Courthouse Exhibition). Sandilands House became known as Townlands in the 19th century and was until recently used as a barn. This is an historically important building and though it has lost some of its internal features and roofing material, the building has survived remarkably well. Its crowsteps, quatrefoil openings, armorial tablet, remains of fluted fireplace surround and arched fireplace opening, window and door openings with supporting arches all contribute to the architectural merit of Townlands.

References

Bibliography

1st edition ordnance survey map. Additional information courtesy of Cromarty Courthouse Exhibition, September 2002.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CROMARTY, HIGH STREET TOWNLANDS BARN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 18:00