William Robertson, 1838-9, mansion with extensive additions
by A and W Reid, 1854-68. Further alterations by Dick Peddie
and Kinnear, 1885-6. Drawing room addition circa 1892
decorated by Sir Robert Lorimer, 1892-3 who also designed
other interior decorations (surviving only in library).
Austere N facing classical 2-storey mansion with single
storey and attic ranges extending to rear. Polished and tooled
Original 5-bay house with shallow advanced outer bays; 2-tier
pedimented tetrastyle portico, lower tier projecting as porte
cochere supported by fluted Greek Doric columns with Empire
garland frieze (porte cochere circa 1855 but probably
designed by William Robertson).
2-storey, 3-bay drawing room wing extends at E continuous
Rectangular bay window (1854) lights library (former dining
room) at W; similar window lights drawing room at E (re-used
from former drawing room).
Some corniced and lugged architraves to aproned ground floor
Set back 2-bay wing survives at W with outer window framed by
paired pilasters and paired engaged columns supporting
entablature and corniced wallhead.
Extensive infilling of original rear court between 1856-1868;
E return elevation with dormers, windows and hooded canopied
Multi-pane glazing; corniced wallhead; corniced stacks;
shallow piended and gabled slate roofs.
House flanked E and W by 1838-9 polished ashlar pedimented
basket-headed arches leading to former stable court. Paired
pilasters clasp N and S facets under paired Empire garlands;
anthemion and acroteria decorate pediment. Arches linked to
house by low coped tooled ashlar quadrant walls.
INTERIOR: entrance hall, formerly with doorways to drawing
room (left) and dining room (right), opens through columned
screen to stairhall rising 2 storeys; imperial staircase with
mid 19th century cast-and wrought-iron balusters linked to
fluted Ionic cast-iron newels. Coffered ceiling with gilded
detailing and gilded floreated and foliated bosses. Chequered
marble floor (1892-3).
LIBRARY (FORMER DINING ROOM): re-modelled as library by Sir
Robert Lorimer, 1892-3, including bookcases, some with glazed
fronts; also marble chimneypiece with decorative medallions;
coffered ceiling and decorative frieze. 1837 former drawing
room (now children's common room): carved red marble
HEADMASTER'S STUDY; 1892-3 chimneypiece with marble slips.
TERRACE: (1885): mansion fronted by balustrade and flights of
steps descending to lower lawn (now playing field).
Statement of Special Interest
Aberlour House, together with E lodge, columns and stables
built by Alexander Grant, who originated from Glenrinnes and
who made a fortune in W Indies. It is doubtful he ever lived
in the house, which he left to his niece, Miss Margaret
Gordon MacPherson, at his death in 1854. She added Grant to
her own name and made extensive additions to house and
policies, dying in 1877 aged 43.
House damaged by fire in 1875.
Property purchased in 1885 by Sir John Ritchie Findlay, owner
of THE SCOTSMAN newspaper, who made further alterations and
additions, including drawing room decorated by Sir Robert
Lorimer (decorations have not survived).
Aberlour House now a school.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.