Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 9205 62957
309205, 862957


S facade of 1835-40 in style of William Robertson of

Elgin, fronting and infilling early-mid 18th century

2-storey and attic U-plan courtyard house of 2 or more

builds. Frontage rendered and lined as ashlar, harled or

harl pointed flanks and rear, tooled and polished ashlar

dressings and margins.

Mainly single storey 7-bay S front screens earlier rear

with centre door with narrow side lights; tetrastyle

Ionic porch with monolith columns; long paired flanking

windows (lighting drawing room left and dining room

right); outer bays (formerly gable ends of flanking

wings of earlier house) with slightly advanced 2-storey

pedimented window sections rising above wallhead with

anthemion acroteria, supported by ornate scroll

brackets; shallow aprons to corniced ground floor

windows in moulded lugged surrounds; paired stacks

crown pediments. End bays linked by continuous cornice

and blocking course.

W elevation comprises 2 x 2-storey and attic, 3-bay

blocks, that to SW dating from late 18th century (with

centre door) and at NW dated 1900, both blocks linked

by set-back W gable of original 2-storey and attic

house, forming small U-plan court.

Irregular rear with projecting gabled stairwell.

Lying-pane glazing in S front (partially blind windows

in outer bays); 12-pane glazing elsewhere. Paired square

ashlar end and ridge stacks in front, various coped end

stacks elsewhere; early 18th century cavetto skewputts

on earliest portion of house; slate roofs.

INTERIOR: wide entrance hall with drawing room left and

dining room right (all 1835-40).

DRAWING ROOM: tall double doors with corniced overdoor;

carved wooden chimneypiece with marble slips; decorative

plaster ceiling cornice with anthemion design.

DINING ROOM: similar paired doors as drawing room; Ionic

columned screen; simple ceiling cornice; white painted

chimneypiece with marble slips.

18th century fielded panelled doors and window shutters

survive in older part of house which has low ceilinged


GATEPIERS: 2 pairs of mid 18th century gatepiers,

flanking E and S entrances. Square, polished ashlar with

shaped caps and ball finials on attenuated bases.

Statement of Special Interest

Milton Brodie House built on old site, part of lands of

Kinloss Abbey. During 18th century it was called

Windyhills, also the name of a property in Grange

Parish, which was itself the Grange of Kinloss. James

Brodie of Windyhills died in 1741, leaving the estate to

his relation, George Brodie whose father had sold his

estate of Milton (now Miltonduff) to the Duffs of Braco;

the Brodies re-named Windyhills Milton Brodie. In 1798

the house was 'not modern (but) indicating neat internal

accommodation'; by 1842 it had 'lately received

considerable additions and improvements'.

Walled garden and gazebo no longer belong to house; the

gazebo is listed separately. The walled garden is not

included in listing.

Small gutted cottage, sited to N of mansion and known as

'The Penitentiary' incorporates late 17th or 18th

century fabric, remodelled in 19th century. Skewputt has

very worn date, possibly 1691. Not included in listing.

Lectern dovecot dated 1769 which formerly belonged to

house demolished during 1960's.

Change of Category B to A, 25.4.89.




(1775), pp.86-7. Anon, SURVEY OF THE PROVINCE OF MORAY

(1798), p.146. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii. (1835),

p.104. FORRES GAZETTE, 5 Aug 1842, p.1 and 4 May 1844,

p.1. J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.108.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILTON BRODIE HOUSE AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 21:58